2007 iMac power supply (?) failure

Reaction score
Hey folks of the Mac Help forum,
Never gotten a problem solved this way before; if you can help me get my well-loved desktop up and at them again you'll be a saint to me forever.

Background is: 2007 iMac 20". EMC 2133. Worked great almost all that time, added RAM and got the HD replaced around 2012. Conked out about a year+ ago.

Refused to start whatsoever—black screen, no tone, nada. Checked the RAM was seated right, reset the SMC. No effect.

Scheduled a visit to the Apple Store, brought it in, and it freaking started up fine. No clue why. Same power cord, same everything. Apple dude shrugged. Brought it back home, and it was still fine. Then after a few days, dead again.

So: any diagnosis that suits a mac working for a little, then dying again? I'm reading that a lot of power supplies from this era of mac are dying, and I'm leaning towards ordering a new power supply and sticking it in there.

Today, I cracked it open to try de-dusting (it was hellllllla dusty and I think that may be part of the problem) and check the LED indicator lights. The first indicator LED turned on briefly, right when I plugged the cord in, then fizzled out.
I got it to repeat this once more, but could not get it to keep the #1 indicator LED lit for more than the first couple seconds. The other LED indicators remain dark.

Anyone want to tell me this sounds like a power supply failure to them, or that is more likely to be a bad logic board? I think I can replace the power supply, but not much of a bigger repair.

Again, a million billion thanks, and if I overlooked a thread that speaks to this already answered that's my bad. Take it sleazy.

Ask a Question