Problems wiping 2007 iMac hd 500gb...

Reaction score
Hi I'm new to Mac Help Forums!

I recently had an issue with my old 2007 iMac where the system would only be able to boot every 30 tries or so from the disk, after recently installing an Ubuntu partition. Every other time I got the infamous question mark folder indicating there was no bootable drive. This happened to me a couple years ago also. When it happened before, I booted from my OsX disk and reinstalled my OS over everything. Lost all my files, but it restores my hd. I'm having the same problem now, except when I tried to do the same thing and I have to select where to install the OS, there are no options- it's blank. So I opened DiskUtility from the boot disk and the hd shows up as:

Media
Total Capacity: 0 Bytes
S.M.A.R.T. Status: Not supported
Partition Scheme: Unformatted​

I have all my files backed up and decided to wipe the hd completely with Disk Utility from the OsX disk. My hd is 500 gb and it has been in the "wiping" process for over 24 hours now. And the status next to the little striped load bar has been this for the entire time:

newfs: write(WIPE_START) disk1 failed, Device not configured​

Is my hd gone? The striped loading bar is moving infinitely like it's doing something. Should a hd wipe take this long? I figured it would take 6 or 7 hours, but there's been no status change or anything. I'm hesitant to stop it because it will render the disk unusable if it still is salvageable.

Any advice is much appreciated. Fortunately I have my Mac Mini which I'm using now, so it's no emergency. But I would like to salvage the iMac if I can.

Thank again for any advice or help!

Ask a Question