High Sierra update problems

Reaction score
Updates 10.13.4 and 5 to my 2018 iMac have both failed despite several attempts. The update downloads and it attempts to restart but fails leaving a black screen and an arrow cursor top left.
The only way to bring it back to life is to hold down the power button - then it switches off and I need to press and hold again to restart it. The software is then still showing as 10.13.3. I have tried this several times even leaving it overnight to cogitate what it should be doing.
This sounds more like a Microsoft type of problem. Has anyone please got a non-too-technical cure?

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hello,

-Do you have a current Time Machine or other backup of your data?
-Are you currently on macOS High Sierra 10.13.3?
-Are you trying to update via App Store - Updates?
-How much free space is on your drive?

You could try manually downloading and installing the combo updater here: Download macOS High Sierra 10.13.5 Combo Update

As always, make sure you have a current Time Machine or other backup of your drive before attempting to update OS X/macOS.

C

Reaction score
Thank you for such a prompt response.
I do have a current Time Machine backup and also a Clone of the HD
I am currently on 10.13.3
I am trying to Update using Updates automatically downloaded from the App Store
I have 86 GB free on my drive but I could clear more if that is causing a problem. Trash is empty.
In FINDER, DEVICES, it shows iMac, when I click on that it now opens to show a Drive named as §
Your help will be greatly appreciated

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
OK, thanks for the information. Good you have multiple current backups.

First, I would rename the hard drive to Macintosh HD or something without symbol characters. You may have to change Finder Preferences if your drive doesn't show on the Desktop.

Then, click the link I provided above: You could try manually downloading and installing the combo updater here: Download macOS High Sierra 10.13.5 Combo Update, to download the manual 10.3.5 combo updater and try to apply that.

Let us know how that goes,

C

Reaction score
No Go. I renamed the Hard Drive, downloaded the .5 Update, ran it, restarted with Crtl, CMD and power button but the Apple still shows 10.13.3 I even tried the .6 update but that didn't work either.
If replacing High Sierra with a new version from the Internet without affecting data or anything else on the computer is really as simple and straightforward as some sites show, I wonder why Apple would bother to send out updates at all. But is it the only next step?

Ask a Question