Slow running after High Sierra update

Reaction score
I updated about three weeks ago and all seemed well but subsequently all apps seem to lag, especially Mail and Firefox. Any suggestions? I have an iMac (21.5-inch, Late 2012) and there is plenty of memory available. I use Bitdefender anti-virus for Mac.
Thanks in advance.

Reaction score
A couple of things:

1. Have you ever done any disk cleanup/maintenance/repairs (from a software perspective)? You actually can do a lot of disk cleanup on your own, and there are some excellent programs available (both free and commercial) that can help you with those tasks.

2. This is critical: are you making backups to an external device? If (hopefully) you are, what software are you using for that process?

3. Using Bitdefender will slow down any Mac. Why are you using it?

4. What Mac OS were you using previously? And did you upgrade "in place", ie, just let High Sierra basically "overwrite' what was on your iMac already?

5. Prior to updating, did you insure that all the third party (ie, non-Apple, like Bitdefender) apps you use are compatible with High Sierra?

Reaction score
Hi, honestone,

Thanks for your reply. Taking your questions in order:
1. I use TechTool pro latest version.
2. AirPort Time Capsule.
3. I've read several comments on whether Macs need anti-virus software and the consensus seems to be that there is always a possibility of infection, although I don't open anything suspicious. Computer speed was fine before upgrade to HS.
4. Sierra and just overwritten.
5. I checked on the various software websites and there were no definitive anti comments.

I've had problems with email messages not showing immeddiately and with the sleep function not operating unless I did a restart. I realise that problems of this nature can be down to very many factors so I posted more in the hope that it may have been a generic problem. I welcome any suggetions.

Kind regards.

Reaction score
First, I assume you know that Tech Tool Pro is not yet compatible with High Sierra. They are still working on producing an update (The same is true for Drive Genius and Disk Warrior). It's exactly the reason why I have not updated yet (all my other third party apps, including 5 other critical ones, have already been updated (and except for Onyx, which has a specific High Sierra version, I am using the other 4 with Sierra, OS 10.12.6).

Secondly, you can check about third party software compatibility here:

https://roaringapps.com/apps

I have seen so many reports of various issues with High Sierra on this site, along with only one positive report. From what I have read both here and on Micromat's forums, the only advantage of High Sierra over Sierra is that Office 2016 apps run faster (I use 3 Office 2016 modules). There is really nothing compelling to upgrade to. Even if Tech Tool Pro had a High Sierra update, I would still be reluctant. Also, the very recent "root user" security flaw was not encouraging either. I can't remember seeing so many issues with a new Mac OS. Certainly not with El Capitan nor Sierra.

If I do upgrade, and as I always do with a new Mac OS, I will first Erase and Format my internal SSDs (I have 2 Macs), then do a fresh, clean, "virgin" installation of High Sierra (most likely V10.13.2, which should be coming out shortly), and then use Migration Assistant to "migrate"/copy needed "stuff" from my SuperDuper! backup. Hopefully that will resolve a lot of the issues I am seeing folks post here.

Last edited:
Reaction score
By the way, Micromat STRONGLY states that the latest version of Tech Tool Pro is not to be used with High Sierra. Definitely good advice.

Reaction score
By the way, Micromat STRONGLY states that the latest version of Tech Tool Pro is not to be used with High Sierra. Definitely good advice.
I'm VERY glad I read this thread this morning! I only recently upgraded from El Capitan to Sierra on my MacBook. I was happily surprised that it not only went smoothly and without any hitches, this machine seems to run a bit faster. And I do love having Siri on my Mac (don't know why THAT took so long!). I run TechTool Pro 9, and while I no longer use it for file/volume optimization because I have SSDs. But I still find it a valuable tool.

I'm worried about whether HS will let me keep running Adobe Creative Suite 4 because I'm a hopeless Photoshop/Illustrator and InDesign addict.

I'm not clear if HS forces one to adopt the new Apple Filing System or whether I can keep HFS+ Journaled on my SSD, although I know the geniuses at Cupertino swear up and down it's the way to go.

For backups, I use TimeMachine on a 7200 RPM 1 TB HDD in a Mercury On-The-Go bus-powered enclosure and I keep two separate clones of my entire internal SSD on a 7200 RPM 1 TB HDD and another one a 500 GB Mercury Electra 6G SSD, both from a NewerTech Voyager S3 dock. I run TimeMachine twice daily and update my clones twice per week, unless I add/remove significant amounts of data from my Internal drive, then I upgrade my clones that day. I also erase both of those drives about once a month and do a fresh clone from the ground up. I've more than learned my lesson about not backing up religiously.

And since Sierra won't even install on my 2008 iMac, I'm now in the market for a newer one, likely the last model to come with an internal optical drive.

Ask a Question