Why is my MacBook Pro running slow but works fine in safe mode?

Reaction score
Hello,

I recently update to Sierra but it runs very slow from startup. The Mac takes too much time when the Apple logo appears, and before selecting my user the mouse is very slow and the keyboard too, every action takes too much time. I am trying to figure out the problem, followed some official guides but I could not find the problem yet. I removed the startup user items, created another user account, but I think this is not user related since the problem comes from startup. Also I restart the SMC and first aid option is ok but none of this solutions seems to work for me.

I wrote all this in safe mode and I can not reproduce the error. Could this be a hardware issue?

This is a MacBook Pro A1286 i7,

Thanks in advance.

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hello and welcome.

-That seems to be a MacBook Pro (15-inch, Mid 2012). Is that correct?
-It may be some older software in  > System Preferences... > Users & Groups > your user > Login Items. Can you list what is there? Safe Mode bypasses those items.

C

Reaction score
Welcome, Warao. Hopefully, your issue can get resolved.

A couple of things to consider:

1. Have you been making any backups to an external device?

2. Have you done any disk cleanup/maintenance/repairs? And if you have, do you happen to have either TechTool Pro, Disk Warrior, or Drive Genius? Any of them are superior to Disk Utility.

3. How much free space is on your internal drive?

4. How did you upgrade the Mac OS? Did you do it "in place"? In some cases, it is better to first Erase and Format the internal drive, then do a clean, "virgin" installation of the new OS. To do that, though, you would need to have a recent backup.

Ask a Question