MBP suddenly running very slowly...

Reaction score
Yesterday, my Mac started running very slowly. The OS as a whole is very slow, rather than just one specific program. It has never behaved like this before, and I cannot recall any specific changes that would make it behave this way. My Time Machine back-up has also been "Preparing Backup..." for a few hours now. Not sure if this is related, but usually it does not take this long to prepare.

I have tried SMC reset and repairing my disk in recovery mode, but these have not helped. Any further suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Very many thanks,

Aaron

MacBook Pro, OS X Mavericks (10.9.2), 2.9 GHz i7, 8 GB memory.

Spawn_Dooley

Reaction score
You could see how much free space you have on your hard drive … is your TimeMachine backup on an ext drive?

Reaction score
Hi Spawn, thanks for your reply. I was MIA in this thread because as it turned out, my hard drive was completely dead (thankfully, I have a Time Machine backup).

Payed a visit to the Apple Store yesterday and they replaced it that very same day! $200 after tax. Could have been worse.

Spawn_Dooley

Reaction score
Yeah, could've been much worse aarwynn, had you not been on the ball with backing up your data! Glad you did and a timely reminder that hard drives do fail

Reaction score
Hi Spawn, thanks for your reply. I was MIA in this thread because as it turned out, my hard drive was completely dead (thankfully, I have a Time Machine backup).

Payed a visit to the Apple Store yesterday and they replaced it that very same day! $200 after tax. Could have been worse.

I was reading your initial query and quickly concluded that HDD must be faulty, only to be confirmed by you later.

Ask a Question