HELP-2011 mbp crashing when CPU intensive applications are running

Reaction score
i have a late 2011 15 inch MacBook Pro8,2-----2.2 ghz. Intel core i7. 8 gb. RAM.

I produce music and run pretty CPU intensive applications regurlarly. Ableton Live, Reaktor, Maschine, Serum and a bunch of other VST synthesizers and effects.

So lately my computer has been crashing. The screen will just go black and it will restart. It seems to happen when the fan is on and I'm running something intense.

I'm aware of the dreaded 2011 GPU issue and I'm praying this is not it. Actually I even installed gfx status and switched it to integrated just in case. I must admit I'm pretty worried because this is my only machine and if it went down I'd be completely screwed mainly because there doesn't seem to be many viable options under $2000 in the Mac world at the moment.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you so much.

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hello and welcome.

-Which version of OS X?
-Which versions of the audio apps Ableton/Reaktor/Maschine/Serum?
-What brand/model peripherals if any?
-Is the 8 GB of RAM from Apple or a third-party?

It could be the video issue you mentioned, but it could also be a few other things:
-Not enough free hard drive space
-Overheating due to dust/dirt blocking the fans and cooling ports or inadequate ventilation
-Incompatible software versions

C

Ask a Question