my 2011 macbook won't start up even after a SMC reset, please help.......

Reaction score
so two days ago my macbook decided it had given up on life, the battery indicator works fine and it charges fine, just no signs of life when trying to start up. i have tried doing an smc reset by removing the charger, holding shift+ctrl+alt+power for 10 seconds, releasing at the same time, replacing the charger and pressing the power button but still nothing... any suggestions of what the problem could be and how to fix it. i live on a small island in Indonesia and someone suggested humidity but i really doubt this to be the reason.

tank you all in advance for any help you can offer.

Regards

Matt

Reaction score
We need to know the following, before we can provide meaningful assistance:

1. What exact Macbook model do you have?

2. What exact Mac OS are you using?

3. This is critical: are you making backups to an external device?

4. Have you ever done any disk cleanup/maintenance/repairs?

5. Please provide a more detailed explanation of "my macbook decided it had given up on life". Does the machine work at all?

Reaction score
We need to know the following, before we can provide meaningful assistance:

1. What exact Macbook model do you have?

2. What exact Mac OS are you using?

3. This is critical: are you making backups to an external device?

4. Have you ever done any disk cleanup/maintenance/repairs?

5. Please provide a more detailed explanation of "my macbook decided it had given up on life". Does the machine work at all?

1. 2010 model A1278
2. running on el capitan
3. i havent backed up on an external device for quiet some time and there are a lot of files i would really not like to loose.
4. i havent performed any maintenance or repairs as up until now it has worked fine.
5. so after opening the screen nothing happens, push the power button same again and even holding down the power button there is still no noises or no signs of anything happen. the battery indicator is still working and showing it is now fully charged. the charge indicator works also seemingly fine. after some small research i tried to perform an SMC reset following the steps i listed in the description. i also tried with the charger plugged in the entire time and when i release all buttons the charger indicator would turn from orange to green for a few seconds.

Reaction score
Well, without a backup, it will be extremely risky to try to resolve the issues you are having.

Also, how are you making posts here? Are you using another Mac? If you are, what model is it? And what OS are you using on that machine?

Also, when you say "i havent performed any maintenance or repairs as up until now it has worked fine", that isn't justification for not performing disk cleanup/maintenance/repairs. Owning and maintaining a Mac is the same as owning and maintaining an automobile. If you don't keep up to date with such tasks, sooner or later you'll have issues.

Reaction score
Well, without a backup, it will be extremely risky to try to resolve the issues you are having.

Also, how are you making posts here? Are you using another Mac? If you are, what model is it? And what OS are you using on that machine?

Also, when you say "i havent performed any maintenance or repairs as up until now it has worked fine", that isn't justification for not performing disk cleanup/maintenance/repairs. Owning and maintaining a Mac is the same as owning and maintaining an automobile. If you don't keep up to date with such tasks, sooner or later you'll have issues.

I am posting from a desktop mac mini late 2012 running on osx 10.9. I also have access to a friends macbook air if required.

I am aware my naivety has lead me to this problem but in all honesty i am competent at servicing anything mechanical, I lack confidence in my ability to keep up maintenance and service my macbook.

Reaction score
please help??...... nothing i try is seeming to work, is there any way of rebooting from another mac book?

Reaction score
OK, both of your Macs have Firewire 800 ports. What you need to do is 1) purchase a Firewire 800 cable, 2) hook both of your Macs up via that Firewire 800 cable (with the machines off), 3) boot your late 2012 Mac Mini, and 4) boot your 2010 MacBook while holding down the T key. This will boot your MacBook in Target Disk Mode, and the hard drive on the MacBook will appear on the MacMini's desktop. You can use software on your MacMini to try and fix/resurrect things. This link describes Target Disk Mode:

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201462

Again, though, it is important that you understand that without a backup, there are risks involved in doing this.

Ask a Question