bought secondhand late 2011 Macbook Pro having issues. please help.

Reaction score
Hello all, I recently purchased a badly abused macbook pro 13. The screen was a rainbow of colors when booted up and was told that the monitor needed replaced. I paid to have that replaced and now the screen is completely dark. Everything else on the MBP works as it should (caps lock, volume, trackpad etc.) I hooked it up to an external display and it works as it should. I took it to a computer repair shop and they told me its the logic board, does that seem right? I am no tech so I know nothing, but I would think if it was the logic board nothing would be working. What do you all think? Thank you for taking the time to read and help me.

Reaction score
I paid to have that replaced and now the screen is completely dark
so they replaced the screen but didn't test that it worked?
You took it back and they said it had another problem?

It sounds to me that the screen wasn't installed correctly, if it works with an external monitor.

Reaction score
The man I had install a new screen was just someone claiming they could do it no worries. After seeing that wasnt the case I brought it to a shop. Sorry for not explaining better.

Reaction score
I'd say the guy got it wrong. If the external is working than the problem is with the Screen not the logicboard, IMO.
Have to taken it to an AppleCare Service Centre/ Authorised Service Provider? and explained this. There should be one in your area.

Reaction score
I think so too, thank you for your reply. I took it to the apple store and was told because the lid of the machine has a dime size dent in the corner my applecare is void. The associate was busy helping multiple people so I just think he was trying to rush me out of the store. Again I appreciate your help.

Reaction score
Ah, don't take it to an Apple Store, if it's been opened by "Some Guy", take it to a 3rd Party Service Provider they will have more time and should be more understanding. Of course the AppleCare was void once a Non-Apple Authorised person opened it.

Ask a Question