Bought old macbook no hardrive no OS

Reaction score
Hello all,

I'm new here but have fallen in love with Mac OS to the point that have decided to buy faulty machines and bring them back to life.

I have a small problem with my first project.

Just got hold of a Macbook unibody 2008, 3gig Ram, (originally Mac OS X v10.5) which has no hardrive, OS discs or software license.

Please can anyone advise me on the best way to purchase and install an compatible Mac OS?

Thank you in advance :)

Reaction score
You are welcome and to add once your new hard drive is installed, just pop-in the Snow Leopard cd. To boot from the CD press C when starting up.

You will get to an installation menu: this might have changed since Leopard, but normally at the top you will have a "utilities" menu. From there, chose Disk Utility and format the new HD to Mac OS extended journaled. Then, just quit the Disk Utility app and the installation is all automatic from there.

Once the OS is installed, you will have the option to restore the system from a Time Machine backup.

Ask a Question