High Sierra 10.13.3 Supplemental Update

Reaction score
MacBook Pro, early 2011, 15" screen. After loading the supplemental update, if I leave the laptop for a while, the OS closes all my open apps. Strangely, it can never seem to close MS Word for Mac, but ever thing else is closed. How can I keep those apps open?

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hello,

Is your MBP going to sleep, or is it actually quitting the apps? If quitting, other than Word, which apps are quitting?

C

Reaction score
If MS Excel, Word, and PowerPoint and Safari and Mail were open when I walked away, when I come back the computer is asleep. When I login, Excel, PowerPoint,Safari, and Mail have been closed, and a message box says "The operation couldn't be completed because MS Word would not close."

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
OK, thanks for the additional information. It sounds like your Mac is set to logout after a period of inactivity, and it cannot quit the Microsoft Office apps properly (a known issue)

macOS Sierra: Set your Mac to log out when not in use

Try changing that setting to not logout, and see if that corrects the issue. You can set the Mac to lock when the screen saver beings, if you prefer to keep it safe.

C

Ask a Question