Further Update on High Sierra, OS 10.13.2

Reaction score
As most folks know, I upgraded to High Sierra on both of my Macs this past Tuesday. Even though most things are running OK, I am definitely having some other issues. Here is what I am having "trouble" with:

1. It is definitely taking longer for each of my Macs to start up with High Sierra, even though both of them have SSDs (a Samsung 840 Pro 256 gig SSD inside my Mac Mini, and a Samsung 840 EVO 252 gig SSD inside my Mac Book Air). For both of them, I am only using about 70 gig of space, and that includes the space for the EFI, Recovery HD, and Tech Tool Pro's eDrive partitions. And both of them are formatted as APFS (via the installation of High Sierra).

2. Tech Tool Pro (TTPro) V9.6.1 is not that "great" with High Sierra. The issues are:

a. It takes longer to restart my Mac from their eDrive (the eDrive is kind of like the Recovery HD partition created by a fresh, new installation of the Mac OS).

b. One of its tasks, Surface Scan, can no longer be run for the same drive (that's my internal one) that TTPro is on.

c. When I am finished with the eDrive, and want to restart my Mac from its internal SSD, it takes longer for that transition to start. And then, that start up process is slow.

d. These slow issues with TTPro could be somewhat due to High Sierra itself. As I have already reported, it takes longer to start up and shut down both of my Macs with High Sierra.

3. I am not seeing any speed increase for any of the apps that I use.

Because of all that, I am seriously thinking of going back to Sierra, OS 10.12.6.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Mine was slow to boot and shut down initially but not now it boots and shuts down inseconds.
Help me understand your issue, you would go to all the work and effort to go back to Sierra because it boots up 20 seconds quicker?
Honestone my man I think you enjoy the tinkering far more than the using.

Reaction score
I'm not really doing any "tinkering", although I did remove a number of Apple apps the other day, along with some "pieces" of Spotlight. But the somewhat disappointing performance of Tech Tool Pro is bothersome (although the folks at Micromat stated that some of the shortcomings I am encountering are due to High Sierra). And the Permissions Repair feature in the High Sierra version of Onyx is no longer present (it is also missing in the new version of Tech Tool Pro).

I was going to go back to Sierra today (I am about to run through my weekly disk cleanup/maintenance/repair, and backup, tasks), but maybe I'll hold off and stay with High Sierra for another week. One thing for sure, though, is that I am not seeing any difference in the speed of Outlook 2016, Word 2016, and Excel 2016, even with the new version that was released the other day. That report, along with the supposed "promise" of faster disk access with APFS, were the primary reasons that I upgraded. But both of those, so far, are disappointing. Again I'll say that I am not seeing anything "dramatic" in High Sierra.

I'll see how it goes.

Last edited:

Ask a Question