Problems with Super Duper

Reaction score
Hi guys, having trouble getting Super Duper to operate. I click on it in launchpad and it opens to the front page, ie copy now. However, within a second this next page comes up talking about upgrades but will not disappear and has no clickable link on the page. When closed, the whole program closes and reverts back to launchpad. Unable to screen shot the page for you.This has only occurred within the last 2 weeks. Thanks .
btw, 2015 macbookpro 13 retina running High Sierra 10.13.6.

Reaction score
Not sure why you having issues. How did you "obtain" is SuperDuper!, ie, in "trial/demo" mode, or did you pay for it?

Also, when you see that upgrade screen, there is an option to skip it (typically on the lower left of that screen).

Here is what you can do:

1. Download the excellent free program AppCleaner, available from here:

https://freemacsoft.net/appcleaner/

2. Install it, and use it to remove SuperDuper! and most of the associated files/folders with the program.

3. Download the latest version of SuperDuper! from here:

https://www.shirt-pocket.com/SuperDuper/SuperDuperDescription.html

On the right hand side of that screen, under where it says "v3.2.2 now available", you should see the "linkable" text "download now".

4. Install that new version, and you should be good to go.

I do not use Launchpad, as I have a icon of SuperDuper! in my Doc. That works flawlessly for me, and I am using that latest version on both of my Macs (I am running the latest version of High Sierra, OS 10.13.6).

Reaction score
Thanks, upon closer reading the problem was resolved by hitting the return key and the upgrade showed properly and successfully completed. Answer to your question, I did buy this program 2 years ago and have had no issues with previous updates. Thanks.
I never leave programs like this on the dock because when I go on vacation I close down the mac and put it in the safe so all open programs will close. I have never had issues with opening programs from launchpad.

Reaction score
Glad you got it resolved. And SuperDuper! is a fantastic program (as is Carbon Copy Cloner)! Just out of curiosity, is it an issue for you that SD does not backup up the (hidden) Recovery HD partition? It's never been a problem for me.

I have 2 macs, a late 2012 Mac Mini, and and mid 2017 13" MacBook Air. When we go on vacation, I (of course) leave the Mini at home, but take the Air with us. Have never, never had an issue with icons of programs in the Doc. Always work like a champ!

You still might want to consider down loading and installing AppCleaner. Truly a worthwhile, effective program. And it's free!

Reaction score
To your first question, I dont know the answer about backing up the recovery HD partition, will have to figure out how to find that answer.
Second question, when I go on vacay I always close down my mac book pro and so ancillary items in the dock get closed out.
Third, yes I will look into AppCleaner, I am sometimes skeptical on ads I see, but if a program is recommended then I will defo look into it, again many thanks for all the info.

Reaction score
As I said, SuperDuper! does not back up the Recovery HD partition (that gets created on the installation of the Mac OS). Carbon Copy Cloner does back up that partition. It does have some uses, but it is not an absolute necessity for me.

As for going on vacation, as a general rule, I always "cleanly" exit an application, ie, I do quit the application. Hence, I have nothing that is "hanging" when I shut off either of my Macs. Whether or not items get closed that are in the Dock makes no difference to me. Things just work fine as they are. Also, I like that I can just click the SuperDuper! icon in the dock, and it launches. (I have some other programs whose icons are in the Dock also, and again, never had an issue with them).

AppCleaner works very well. I have been using it for quite some time, and it does an admirable (and almost complete) job of finding associated files, folders, etc. when one wants to remove/delete an application. Besides saving disk space, it also removes files that are no longer needed.

Reaction score
Show me how AppCleaner can delete mail on my mac in favor of Gmail.
I have heard it is possible to make Gmail be the preference, but I have not been able to accomplish this. Anything?

Reaction score
From what I understand, it is just about a "no no" to try and remove some Apple "core" programs, as it can cause issues. It seems Apple's Mail program is one of them.

Ask a Question