Power source stuck as power adapter

Reaction score
Hi guys, had a sudden problem with my macbook's power, hope you can help me out.

I bought this macbook August '11, and it's run 1100 charge cycles now. As far as I know it's already over its lifespan, but up till earlier today it was still serving me well, only running down 10% or so to about 60% in 90 minutes of use with wifi off, purely word processing.

When I got back I charged it to full, and the power cut when i pulled out the Magsafe charger from the laptop. Letting the book cool and then trying to start it up without plugging it in didn't do anything for me, so I plugged it back in and booted. The battery indicator on the top bar still indicates 'Replace Now' as it has for a while now, which as I understand from the help widget that pops up, means I should get it changed, but I should still be able to continue using the battery.

Below that it says "Battery is Charged" and "Power Source: Power Adapter."

Any clues as to whether this could possibly be a software issue of the power source being set stuck to the adaptor for some reason? Even if the battery is dying, there's no reason for it to jump from the performance I had earlier in the day to not being able to boot at all..

Thanks for your suggestions and responses!

Reaction score
OMG No, if the Mac is saying replace the battery replace it!!! You can do permanent damage not replacing it.

Ask a Question