HELP! Power problem

Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

I'm having some problems with my MacBook Pro.
Im not very tech savvy so I may not be able to explain it well!

So when the Mac is plugged in, it will not charge the battery, or run off power adaptor, so when its plugged in the batter runs down and dies in no time at all.

If not plugged in, it runs down and dies too. It then takes a good 10 hours (overnight) for it to charge to full power. I use it for work so feel like I'm on borrowed time with only having an hour or two to work each day before having to leave it charge again!

I've checked the battery status and it says normal, I've tried a reset and I've also reset the entire Mac to factory settings.
Nothing has worked and the same problem exists. I've tried multiple different chargers, just in case that was the problem and nothing makes a difference!

Does anyone have any ideas?

Reaction score
A couple of questions:

1. What Mac OS are you running?

2. When did this start happening? And do you remember any particular event that was occurring at that time, ie, thunderstorms, downloading something, etc.?

3. You say that when your machine is plugged in, the battery will not charge. Yet then you later say that "It then takes a good 10 hours (overnight) for it to charge to full power". Hence, it does, eventually, charge when plugged in. Correct?

4. What third party (ie, non-Apple) is on your machine? A real bad one is MacKeeper. Older versions of Clean My M ac were bad also. Those are just two examples.

A couple of more things you can try are:

1. SMC Reset. This link describes how to do that:

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201295

2. PRAM/NVRAM Reset. This link describes how to do that:

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT20406

Again, though, look at any third party software you have, and let us know.

Ask a Question