Power Mac G4 heating problem? Please help!

Reaction score
I recently puchased a used Power Mac G4 and right from the get go, it seems to have had problems overheating. It boots up and starts up Mac OS just fine and iMovie and iPhoto and all other programs open up just fine, but after only a few minutes the computer freezes up and I have to shut it down. It also takes awhile before it will fully boot back up, at which point the same problems occur.

I figure it's a heating problem somewhere since no problems occur until after the computer's been on a few minutes and it happens consistently. The processor is a dual 450 Mhz and there doesn't appear to be a fan on or near the processor, just a heat sync - maybe that's the issue? There is a main cooling fan installed. If the processor doesn't require a cooling fan, could replacing the processor and/or heat sync help?

If anyone can help, I would gladly appreciate it - I have DV camcorder movies I need to edit! Thank you very much!

Matt

Ric

Reaction score
Hi there,

do you have any install disks with it ?

What version of OS is it running ?

regards

Ric

Ric

Reaction score
Thanks, did you also get a Silver one with "Apple Hardware Test" written on it ?

regards

Ric

Ask a Question