Help: Power Mac G5 not waking from sleep?

Reaction score
I've been experiencing a new problem lately-my power mac doesn't want to restart from sleep, not when it's gone there due to inactivity nor when I set it to sleep myself. At least not right away. It seems that if I come back to it 20-30 minutes later it's just fine.

During the time that it's in sleep that I can't wake it from, the tower light acts as if it's sleeping but there is whatsoever no responce from anything that I do. When I can get the computer back on, the fans aren't loud or anything but this obviously isn't good. I couldn't even turn it off the other night. But I did end up cleaning out and resetting the SMU and when I plugged it back in, everything seemed fine.

Tonight I had the same issue after putting it to sleep, but waited 20 minutes and it came back on like normal. Any ideas what's going on? I'd appreciate if anyone had any ideas or help to offer. Thanks.

specs are:
Dual 2.3 GHz PowerPC G5
4 GB DDR SDRAM

Added some additional ram after purchasing in early 2008, but nothing else. Had a couple kernal panics awhile ago but generally a pretty good machine!

Reaction score
Sounds like old age, I want to stay asleep for as long as possible, too.

Ensure all your Software Updates are done.

What OS version are you running. You can turn off Sleep if you can't fix it.

Reaction score
I'm running 10.4.11 which I believe is the farthest I can go on this OSX... everything is up to date as much as I can.

Any chance that replacing the PRAM battery would resolve things?

Reaction score
I doubt it, more likely a process not responding.

Check your Console Logs for clues.

Reaction score
Thanks! I checked the logs and found "Failed to connect to system engine" and did some searching on it where people suggest that the capacitors in the power supply are failing/power supply is burning up...

Sorry if I'm sounding stupid, but can you break that down for me what that exactly means? If my power supply is failing should I be looking for a new computer soon?

Reaction score
Yes, this could well be a hardware problem.

The G5 is very old now and it would be advisable to start looking at your options. I would recommend the Mac mini, or the new iMac.

Ensure you are backed up!!!

Ask a Question