G4 powerbook Start up problem PLEASE HELP

Reaction score
I have a G4 Aluminium Powerbook 15.2" which I bought secondhand. I was not given any start up disks with it .

I was running OSx 10.4.7 until yeasterday and then updated to 10.4.8 from the apple web site.

Once this was complete, I was asked to restart the powerbook which I did. SO then when it started up again I got the
1) grey screen the apple symbol
2) then the black screen
3) to the blue screen with the white box window saying' Mac OS x' 'Starting Mac OS X' . The blue tube goes goes to the end and then keeps on going.

I have left it running like this for 5 hours yesterday to see if it would go the next step - the desktop window , but NO - it always stays on this mode . Can anyone help?? I maybe able to borrow a friends start up disk, and reboot this way .

PLEASE HELP I AM DESPERATE.

Reaction score
Hi machead, and welcome :)

Did you repair permissions before the update? It is always advisable to do this, as well as have a general clear out of chache files etc.

It would be a good idea to borrow the start up CD's - however, you could try holding the x key down during start up and see if the OS loads.

You could also try resetting the nvram and pram - details here:

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=2238

Reaction score
Hi machead, and welcome :)

Did you repair permissions before the update? It is always advisable to do this, as well as have a general clear out of chache files etc.

It would be a good idea to borrow the start up CD's - however, you could try holding the x key down during start up and see if the OS loads.

You could also try resetting the nvram and pram - details here:

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=2238

No I didn't repair permissions ...I suppose I am new at the MAc world. However I did purchase the mac OSX 4 Cd's -which I shall try with the x key. Thanks

Reaction score
hey, I have the same problem with my ibook g3...the screen loads and then the blue bar just sits at the end.

Ask a Question