SOLVED Podcasts App Crashes on MacBook Air (macOS Big Sur v11.1)

Reaction score
Problem occurs on MacBook Air running Big Sur v11.1. Prior to Big Sur I was running Catalina. It APPEARS that since the Big Sur installation the Podcasts app. will not open. It opens for a second, then crashes. This repeats on every attempt. The info below is from the log that was produced after the crash. Does anyone have any recommendations on this? I have not been able to find any help on the web. Thanks!

Application Specific Information:
dyld3 mode
*** Terminating app due to uncaught exception 'NSError: NSCocoaErrorDomain (1570)', reason: 'podcastUuid is a required value. | (null)'
terminating with uncaught exception of type NSException
abort() called

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hello and welcome.

-Did you have a lot of subscribed podcasts before the upgrade?
-Is the version of the Podcasts app 1.1.0 in Big Sur 11.1 on your MBA?

It may just be a corrupted plist file.

C

Reaction score
Thank you for the response. Yes, I had subscribed to maybe ten podcasts prior to the upgrade. My Podcasts version is 1.1.0.

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hello again,

I haven't been able to replicate the issue here. I wonder if it could just be a corrupted preference file or cache?

It is always recommended to have a current Time Machine or other backup of your data.

That said, you could try the following:
-Create another user on your Mac, login to it, and launch the Podcasts app and see if it crashes there. If so, it is a macOS issue, not a user-based preference issue.
-Delete the following files/folders in your hidden User > Library folder:
~/Library/Containers/Podcasts
~/Library/Group Containers/243LU875E5.groups.com.apple.podcasts

C

Reaction score
- Created new user and the app worked as expected.
- I then deleted the libraries you recommended (I had three Podcasts folders in Containers) and the app is now working. For info, my podcast subscriptions were still in place and my episodes were not lost.
Thank you again for your help with this issue.

Reaction score
Hello again,

I haven't been able to replicate the issue here. I wonder if it could just be a corrupted preference file or cache?

It is always recommended to have a current Time Machine or other backup of your data.

-Create another user on your Mac, login to it, and launch the Podcasts app and see if it crashes there. If so, it is a macOS issue, not a user-based preference issue.

C
Hi...not sure if this is a similar problem. But basically the podcast app on my new iMac with Big Sur opens for a fraction of a second then closes down: "podcasts quit unexpectedly." Except now I expect it to happen every time! Was on the phone with Apple support for an hour; they couldn't fix it, including re-installing the OS. There's pages and pages of stuff in the "problem report for podcasts" window that opens, starting:

Process: Podcasts [3669]
Path: /System/Applications/Podcasts.app/Contents/MacOS/Podcasts
Identifier: com.apple.podcasts
Version: 1.1.0 (1530.3)
Code Type: X86-64 (Native)
Parent Process: ??? [1]
Responsible: Podcasts [3669]
User ID: 501

Date/Time: 2021-03-20 17:02:12.386 -0400
OS Version: macOS 11.2.3 (20D91)
Report Version: 12
Bridge OS Version: 5.2 (18P4347)
Anonymous UUID: C741DE40-B3E9-356C-E7E1-ABC2BFFDA309

Do you have any suggestions please? Thank you.

Reaction score
Thanks I nuked the Podcasts container and group container but after relaunching the app was empty so thought I'd add I also had to reboot to get my podcast library to sync down from iCloud.

macOS Big Sur 11.4 (20F71)
*** Terminating app due to uncaught exception 'NSError: NSCocoaErrorDomain (1570)', reason: 'podcastUuid is a required value. | (null)' terminating with uncaught exception of type NSException

Reaction score
Hello again,

C
YOU ARE A LIFE SAVER! IT WORKED

CCG

Reaction score
Problem occurs on MacBook Air running Big Sur v11.1. Prior to Big Sur I was running Catalina. It APPEARS that since the Big Sur installation the Podcasts app. will not open. It opens for a second, then crashes. This repeats on every attempt. The info below is from the log that was produced after the crash. Does anyone have any recommendations on this? I have not been able to find any help on the web. Thanks!

Application Specific Information:
dyld3 mode
*** Terminating app due to uncaught exception 'NSError: NSCocoaErrorDomain (1570)', reason: 'podcastUuid is a required value. | (null)'
terminating with uncaught exception of type NSException
abort() called

Just piping in to say it's still a problem (happening to me 2/3/22) :-(

Ask a Question