Passwords (All) Elimination ?

Reaction score
Hello,

Would like to eliminate every single request that comes up for entering/requesting
Passwords. Want to eliminate ALL of them.

I'm a sole user, and don't need/want them.
A real pain.

Had a unique request the other day, too:
Used Bootcamp to switch to W10, and besides requesting
a Password, it also wanted my Internet Password.
First time, I think, I've ever seen this.

*Any way of eliminating these, also ?

Thanks,
Bob

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hello,

There isn't any way to completely remove passwords due to security reasons.

-Which model Mac?
-Which version of Mac OS X/macOS?
-When are you getting the password prompts - randomly, in some apps, on websites, etc.?

C

Reaction score
Hi Cory,

As always, thanks for your time and help.
Sure is a lot to learn. Particularly a bit difficult now at my age.

I have Mojave on my iMac Desktop.

The only time i am really 'bothered" by these Password requests is when I am
switching back and forth with Bootcamp to go to W10.

No really big deal, and can live with it, or course, but a real pain.

Best regards,
Bob

Reaction score
I think Cory is right that there is no way to eliminate all password prompts. Even if you're the sole user, there are good reasons for those password requests.

However, a bushel of those password prompts can be eliminated if you use the root account. But this isn't advisable because it's possible to easily and inadvertently damage your operating system unless you're very experienced and very cautious. Another giant downside to using a root user account is that your Calendar, Contacts, Reminders and a couple of other goodies are rendered useless as the superuser. It isn't a "regular" user account with normal account preferences.

Perhaps if password requests are that much of a nuisance, you might consider setting up the shortest, simplest password you can think of and then use it for everything. But that, too, is a very bad idea for security reasons.

All those password requests are for your own good, like it or not. And for me, that's saying something since I have a very strong libertarian streak in me and sometimes resent having terms dictated to me. Being the sole user of your computer doesn't eliminate the need for security. There are a slew of outside factors lurking about, especially with WiFi hacking and the ever-present threats of simply being online and interacting with websites and even your own e-mail.

Reaction score
Hi,

Thanks for thoughts on this.

Guess I'll just have to live with it.
No big deal, certainly, just an annoyance.

Regards,
Bob

Ask a Question