Useless passwords

Reaction score
Recently, my machine has been asking for passwords to apps I don't use, and have never used. A very irritating one is IMessage. I have never used it, and would like to delete it. It is asking for a password to a 3 year old defunct e-mail address. I need to change that particular mail address as it shows up in other apps I would like to use, but can't. I have forgotten the password. I can't have the password mailed to me cuz the address is no good.
Another irritating thing about this machine that is becoming more and more useless to me...
Any help greatly appreciated.
Thanx
Ski

IMac late 2013
3.2G I5
16G DDR3
OS 10.13.6

Reaction score
Need to ask a couple of questions, and then make some suggestions:

1. Have you ever done any disk cleanup/maintenance/repairs, from a software perspective? You actually can do quite a lot of disk cleanup on your own. One place to look is your Downloads folder. Another "hog" is that unless you execute the correct command, deleted EMails do not necessarily get permanently removed from your machine. That "command" (usually a menu option or keystroke) depends on what EMail program you are using. I use Thunderbird, and it has an "Empty Trash" option in a keystroke option. I use it a number of times each day, given all the "crap/worthless" EMails I get.

For the disk cleanup/maintenance/repair tasks, there are quite a few excellent free and commercial programs available.

2. This is critical: Are you making backups to an external device? If you (hopefully) are, what software are you using for that task?

OK, regarding your issue. There is the possibility you have some adware/malware on your machine. Two "free" products you can try are:

Malwarebytes - Available from here: https://www.malwarebytes.com/mac/

Good to use if you see adware and/or suspect you might have a virus. It also is good to run it every so often, even if nothing is wrong.

ClamXAv - Available from here: https://www.clamxav.com/

More extensive than Malwarebytes in terms of finding viruses. You can use it in demo mode, and it still has just about full functionality. If you do use it, let it first update the virus definitions. Then, select the "top" level for the scan. That will take some time, but better to be safe than sorry.

Reaction score
honestone - thanx for the reply, but I fail to see where you are going with this. I have a 3+ year old email address that I used to use, I used it to set up this machine. That address is no longer viable, and as such there are some apps that I can't get into anymore cuz they ask for a password that matches that old email address. I beleive a portion of my Apple account still uses the old address and won't let me change it. I run into it periodically and just quit what I'm doing in frustration and go use the Winbloz machine.
I use Yahoo for mail, it separates a lot of the BS out. I use the Mac's backup program connected to 2 - 750G external drives, all of which is connected to a 5TB array on my network. I use MalwareBytes on all my machines. I have ClamX, but I don't use it.
I want to do away with ALL passwords! I am by myself now, I'm 70+ I don't need to password a thing. I have no banking, or important info on any of the machines. Not only can I not remember the passwords anymore, I now can't remember which notebook I put it into, I have them all but don't know where.
Don't get old... oops - didn't realize you're older than me....

Last edited:
Reaction score
I was just trying to come up with some suggestions. It is unfortunate that many folks who visit these forums do not perform much/any disk cleanup/maintenance/backups, especially with all the excellent tools available. At lest, though, you are making backups. I don't like Time Machine, and prefer SuperDuper!.

I have never used (nor would I dare try) any kind of on-line mail services (like Yahoo mail) for my primary mail processing. I much prefer to go through my ISP (XFinity, in my case). I have been using them reliably for so long, and rarely (if ever) have issues.

Yes, I am older than you, but I make a dedicated effort to keep both of my Macs "lean, mean, and clean". I always equate taking care of Macs to taking care of automobiles. As has been proven numerous times, cars made by Toyota and Honda are the most reliable, and I can easily attest to that. But, they still require maintenance and TLC. Well, reliable Macs re no different.

Reaction score
Been busy. Again, I fail to see where disc cleaning is going to rid me of an email address held by Apple that wants a response and won't let me clean it. My Apple account is pass-worded by an email account - (e-mail address removed). I haven't had that address for over 3 years. I can't get rid of it. It is not on my machine. I have reformatted/reinstalled the machine twice over the last few years, and still the email surfaces.
I have been using yahoo, + others for 4 - 5 years with no ill happenings. You don't have a choice when your ISP doesn't have a mail client - DirectTV - took me 2 years to get out of that mess.
My back-up is run thru Windows and backs up everything, including the 2 750G Mac backups.
Basically, how do you change your Apple account? My efforts have not worked. I somehow have some ~5years of data tied up by a defunct address. My Mac is as reliable as they come, it just takes it on itself to stuff data where I can't get to it. I can't turn off things like the cloud - I don't have the password.

BTW - I will not own a toyota or honda or kia or any of the Asian vehicles, I'd rather they didn't even park in my driveway. The Asian vehicles are "made here in the states", but where does the dollar go....
Reliability - take care of any car and it will last. I have a 2001 Dodge truck that looks and drives like it just rolled off the showroom floor, also have a 2013 Chrysler in the same condition. I realize most of the parts are outsourced, but the almighty dollar stays here. My .02

Ask a Question