More secure web passwords?

Reaction score
Hi all—my first post on here.

On a much earlier OS (not sure which but I'm on Sierra now) I could get my Mac to remember website passwords in Safari, such as PayPal, but require me to enter my admin password before it would autofill them. This was very convenient.

Now I seem to be able to get either autofill with no security or no autofill and I have to search for the password.

I can't find any way to make a difference to it with Keychain either but maybe I'm missing something?

Any help appreciated!

Tony

Reaction score
I use Google Chrome for my browsing, and it can remember passwords (usually will ask me). But I prefer to use a password management program like 1Password for storing passwords.

In any event, here are the results of a google search for "How to have Safari remember passwords":

https://www.google.com/search?q=How...ome..69i57.11148j0j1&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

And this one:

https://support.apple.com/kb/PH21446?locale=en_US

is from the link on that page entitled "Safari for Mac: Password preferences in Safari - Apple Support", published in March of this year. Those should be applicable to Sierra.

Reaction score
Thanks honestone.

It remembers passwords, no problem. Also I can stop it remembering passwords, no problem.

What I can't do is have it remember the password but ask me for my keychain password before it autofills them. I used to do this on Leopard (I think it was). I have a MacBook and it gets used in cafés and other places a lot. I want the passwords remembered, so I don't have to, but I don't want it to just fill them in straight away, I want a layer of security.

Make sense?

Reaction score
Understand what you are saying, but as I mentioned above, I go about this in a different manner. I do not have my browser (Google Chrome) auto fill passwords. I instead rely on 1Password for "retrieving" (actually stored there) the password (sometimes user name also) to get access to a site that requires such information. The situation you are describing, I don't even know how to do that with my browser.

Then, of course, not sure how all of that will work for you with High Sierra, OS 10.13, which is due to arrive soon.

Ask a Question