Is it wise to always replace a product if it isn't being supported anymore?

Reaction score
Hey, I'm doing research about getting my first mac product within the next 18 months and am wondering if older pieces of hardware are best replaced after it doesn't receive major OS updates anymore?I read that one person was replacing their Mac Mini because it was stopping at Mojave but won't software still support Mojave for at least a few years?

Reaction score
I am actually facing that dilemma, as Mojave will be the last Mac OS I will be able to use on my late 2012 Mac Mini (the Mac Minis that came out in 2014 should support at least 2 more of the versions of the Mac OS after Mojave).

The issue with using older software is that there comes a time where it is no longer updated (especially for Security reasons) nor supported. That of course varies from product to product. Apple has actually been providing Security Updates for El Capitan and Sierra. Office 2011 is no longer supported by Microsoft, but it can run on Macs with the OS all the way up to the current one, High Sierra. Some companies, like Titanium Software, make versions of a product for each Mac OS (Onyx is the product).

What it mostly comes down to is how you plan on using your Mac, and thus what software will you be running. If you purchase a Mac model that is within 2 years (or so) of the most current one, it should be useful for at least 5 more years (maybe longer) in terms of software.

Reaction score
Hi,

honestone has hit it on the head when he said,.

What it mostly comes down to is how you plan on using your Mac, and thus what software will you be running.

I run a few apple products both new and old and only last week got a beautiful iMac G5 running beautifully. I love the retro things in life and own many iPod classics, all working fine.

Reaction score
Hi,

honestone has hit it on the head when he said,.

I run a few apple products both new and old and only last week got a beautiful iMac G5 running beautifully. I love the retro things in life and own many iPod classics, all working fine.

Yeah, I saw that cool post (and great photo!) you made yesterday of that "vintage" iMac. As long as the software you can use with it satisfies your needs, more power to you!

Reaction score
Okay, thanks guys! Just wondering....is the software that is available for older versions, like ones that are 2 or 3 versions out of date, still okay? Asking because I'm most likely not going to buy new macs but instead refurbished products that will be 3-4 years old by the time I'm going to purchase.

Reaction score
The use of a version of software is dependent upon the version of the Mac OS you are running. That of course will depend upon which Mac model you get. For example, as I mentioned, my late 2012 Mac Mini will be able to run Mojave, but nothing beyond that. The Mac Minis that were produced in 2014 will, most likely, be able to run at least two more versions of the Mac OS after Mojave.

Ask a Question