Macs forgetting passwords

Reaction score
New possible problem:
Since Sierra, my various Apple devices seem to forget passwords, even those on Keychain. Keychain fails to share passwords, too.
Is keychain at fault?
(I-mac, I-pad & I-phone 6)

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hello,

-Which version of iOS on the iPad and iPhone?
-Assuming you have an iCloud account setup on all three, have you enabled Keychain on all three?

If you are looking for an easier way to share passwords between devices, and have them auto-fill, have a look at 1Password. It is an invaluable tool that I use every day.

C

Reaction score
In response to Cory's response, I have OS Sierra as follows:
I-mac 10.12.1
I-pad mini 3 10.1.1
I-phone 6 10.1.1.
There is no pattern to the mail server's complaint that the password needs re-entering except perhaps that yahoo! mail happens more often.
I notice that with Sierra some or all of the devices are slow to log on to my hub. The i-mac is particularly slow, taking sometimes 20 seconds from sleep (not boot up). Next most frequent is i-phone.
If I ignore the messages saying I should re-enter password(s) the mail box seems to behave normally after a while.
I recall someone else saying their home hub was a bit slow to complete connection since Sierra. Could the same be true of the mail service or could the two factors have the same source?

I see no need, at the moment, to add another app such as 1Password. Would add another potential complication. It is also relatively costly per month, compared with, say, what I spend on cloud storage with Apple since the problem seems to correct itself over a short time.

Reaction score
Hello,

-Which version of iOS on the iPad and iPhone?
-Assuming you have an iCloud account setup on all three, have you enabled Keychain on all three?

If you are looking for an easier way to share passwords between devices, and have them auto-fill, have a look at 1Password. It is an invaluable tool that I use every day.

C
I should have said that Keychain is enabled across all devices including my 2009 white MacBook. Generally works OK as does wi-fi back-up for pad & phone.

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
I have actually noticed that iCloud does prompt for my password intermittently. That has been happening to me as well for about a year.

I totally understand about 1Password. I use the stand-alone app on my Macs and iOS devices purchased through the App Stores.

C

Ask a Question