Retrieving passwords from an old MacBook hard drive?

Marco

Reaction score
I recently had my MacBook break and it was not fixable, I had the hard drive data transferred to another MacBook but it did not seem to have saved the passwords of the websites that I use.

I have managed to connect the old hard drive to my computer using a docking device attached to the usb port.

What I need to know is are my passwords stored in my original hard drive? If so how do I access them and merge them to my new MacBook?

Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Marco

Ad

Advertisements

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hello,

-Who did the migration?
-Did they perform a complete migration of your user and settings?
-Did you already have an account setup on the new Mac when the migration was performed?
-What versions of OS X/macOS on the old MacBook and the new Mac?

Normally, OS X stores your passwords in your login keychain, which is viewable with the Keychain Access app - Applications > Utilities > Keychain Access.

C

Ad

Advertisements

Marco

Reaction score
-Who did the migration? - IT WAS DONE AT A LOCAL STORE
-Did they perform a complete migration of your user and settings? - I BELIEVE SO
-Did you already have an account setup on the new Mac when the migration was performed? - NO
-What versions of OS X/macOS on the old MacBook and the new Mac? - I'M NOT SURE, I CANT ACCESS IT AS THE LOGIC BOARD IS BROKEN

Normally, OS X stores your passwords in your login keychain, which is viewable with the Keychain Access app - Applications > Utilities > Keychain Access. - I LOOKED HERE AND IT DOESNT SEEM TO BE THERE, ALSO I CONNECTED MY OLD HDD AND LOOKED AT THE KEYCHAIN THERE BUT IT IS NOT TO BE FOUND.

IS IT POSSIBLE THAT SAFARI SAVES USERNAMES AND PASSWORDS ON A LOCATION OTHER THAN THE KEYCHAIN? I JUST NEED TO ACCESS WEBSITES THAT I'M REGISTERED WITH.

Ask a Question