Reaction score
ON MY WIFES 2009 iMac 27" with OS10.12.6. First, My Password wouldn't work. Then, her's wouldn't work. I suspect someone has highjacked her computer and changed the passwords. Strange since it has Cocktail ver 10.6.1,
Malwarebytes Ver. 3.1, & ClamXAV ver 2.16 Installed on it. Could it be the new MiMe or MeMi virus? Since Apple has disadvantaged (a polite way to say F'd) the customer by not selling the system on a disk, or letting TechTool Pro use it to allow it to be boot up Disk, I'm dead in the water.
Mac User since 1986, I'm no Newbie. Afraid my wife may have clicked on a Sucker, Bad eMail, since she is a Computer illiterate personified :)
RHB

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hello,

It could have been hijacked by a bad link. Unfortunately, the apps you listed aren't preventatives, and cannot do anything if a link is clicked.

You could try some of these steps: macOS Sierra: Reset a login password

Did you have Allow user to reset password using Apple ID enabled?

C

Spawn_Dooley

Reaction score
Afraid my wife may have clicked on a Sucker, Bad eMail.

These fraudulent emails with their dodgy links are getting really clever at appearing genuine.

I've nearly been sucked in a number of time by emails purporting to be from either Apple, Paypal or the like. Everything about the email looks genuine & if you aren't concentrating your can easily click on the provided link.

Reaction score
These fraudulent emails with their dodgy links are getting really clever at appearing genuine.

I've nearly been sucked in a number of time by emails purporting to be from either Apple, Paypal or the like. Everything about the email looks genuine & if you aren't concentrating your can easily click on the provided link.

Yeah, it's amazing the "fake" EMails I get on my primary "personal" EMail account. I have got so used to this BS that I can eliminate all the bad ones. And given that I use Outlook 2016, after "deleting" them to the Trash, I then have them permanently removed from the Trash, and thus permanently removed form my Mac (actually both of my Macs). ON the google and hotmail accounts I have (I access them through my browser, not with Outlook 2016), about 99% of the Emails there are spam, and thus easy to get rid of. (I don't even try to open any of them. Just delete them right away).

Ask a Question