Password Managers

Reaction score
I have been using 1Password for a number of years for storing my passwords, and it works well. However, the newest version, V7.x, is no longer free. I can spend $49 to purchase it, but I am open to suggestions as to other password applications.

One that I have been looking at for the last 2 days is LastPass. It has very good reviews, and the free version has almost all the functionality as the paid version. Also, it is rated as the second best password manager, with Dashlane being the best (but not free).

So, I would appreciate it if I could get some recommendations for a replacement of 1Password. Given that a new Mac OS (OS 10.14, Mojave) will be coming out in the fall, I need to insure that whatever password manager program I have is compatible. I suspect that for 1Password to be compatible with OS 10.14, I would need to purchase the new version.

Reaction score
I have been using 1Password for a number of years for storing my passwords, and it works well. However, the newest version, V7.x, is no longer free. I can spend $49 to purchase it, but I am open to suggestions as to other password applications.

One that I have been looking at for the last 2 days is LastPass. It has very good reviews, and the free version has almost all the functionality as the paid version. Also, it is rated as the second best password manager, with Dashlane being the best (but not free).

So, I would appreciate it if I could get some recommendations for a replacement of 1Password. Given that a new Mac OS (OS 10.14, Mojave) will be coming out in the fall, I need to insure that whatever password manager program I have is compatible. I suspect that for 1Password to be compatible with OS 10.14, I would need to purchase the new version.

Though you didn't mention it, many people have recommended Dashlane. I continue to use it because it is free and it adds an hour or two of frustration to my day. I don't have enough. I'm interested in the responses you get. This may be one I'd be willing to pay for, IF, there were a money back guarantee.

How does the app store manage? No guarantees/refunds. Fake reviews. Inability to sort or filter by cost or rating. I feel like I'm dealing with the guy on the street corner who goes, "Psssss, buddy," then opens up his raincoat with a dozen Rolexes inside.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction score
Though you didn't mention it, many people have recommended Dashlane. I continue to use it because it is free and it adds an hour or two of frustration to my day. I don't have enough. I'm interested in the responses you get. This may be one I'd be willing to pay for, IF, there were a money back guarantee.

How does the app store manage? No guarantees/refunds. Fake reviews. Inability to sort or filter by cost or rating. I feel like I'm dealing with the guy on the street corner who goes, "Psssss, buddy," then opens up his raincoat with a dozen Rolexes inside.

Actually, I did mention it:

"Also, it is rated as the second best password manager, with Dashlane being the best (but not free)."

I have actually already downloaded LastPass (not from the App store), but have not installed it yet. I did, though, see some negative reviews, along with some positive ones.

Reaction score
Actually, I did mention it:

"Also, it is rated as the second best password manager, with Dashlane being the best (but not free)."

I have actually already downloaded LastPass (not from the App store), but have not installed it yet. I did, though, see some negative reviews, along with some positive ones.

I have begun to believe that I'd be better off with a password protected spreadsheet. I email them at least once a week and they are unable to help. It logs into the same site differently each time. Many places are duplicated. I deleted five entries for a web site today.....after trying three and locking me out. It should be so simple, but it only works half the time. Today I was doing banking. I had to set and reset passwords up to four times on twelve different sites. I coulda screamed. I will have it generate a new password, and cut and paste it into a web site, but then when it logs in, it does not recognize it. That's about 30-40%of the time.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction score

I've been using LastPass for six years, and it works fine on both Windows and OS. If an entry space doesn't conform to standard specs, LastPass won't recognize it, but that's probably the same for any PW manager. One area where LP has trouble is with the three entries required for my bank.

Reaction score
I was a long-time 1Password user until November 2017, when I bought a Chromebook. 1Password would not work well with Chrome OS at all. I did some search online and read various reviews about other alternatives, e.g., Dashlane and LastPass. In the end I went with LastPass. I liked the UI and the various options to sync across devices and different OS. Although the free version was working well for me, I decided to buy the family pack (I think it is only $24/year); I believe in supporting good software. Of course there are some differences in the way it works as compared to 1Password. However, the learning curve was easy. Some of the things I like about LastPass include its transparency across different OS, two-factor authentication using fingerprint, extensions for all browsers, and password generation in various formats (set by user, per site). I've been very happy with LastPass.

Reaction score
I started using RoboForm many years ago when I was a Windows user and transferred the license to my Mac a couple of years ago. No complaints.

Reaction score
I've been using LastPass (Free) for about 2 years now on the Mac and PC. It works fine for me and my needs. :)

Reaction score

LastPass is awesome. Been using it for years. They have a Mac app and a plugin for most browsers. Paid version is very reasonably priced. They also have an iOS app which fills in your credentials in safari.

Reaction score

I have used LastPass for some years without many mishaps. Their customer service is very good.

Reaction score

LastPass for me. Their customer service is very good.

Reaction score
I have been using Lastpass for over 3 years and have 300 passwords in it and it is fantastic, the free version allows 50mb of attachments for secure notes (which is enough for most users) or 1gb for premium payers.

Passwords are unlimited for free and premium users and the ease of use is fantastic, with more improvements coming with the new MacOS due out in September.

I have recommended numerous people to LP and everyone users it and would never go back to other PW manaagers.

If you need any other questions feel free to reply and i will answer them.

Perry

Reaction score
Thanks, everyone, for the replies. Sounds like LastPass is the way to go.

Two other questions: according to what I have read, the free version has almost all the features as the paid version. I used the free/demo version of SuperDuper! for over a year before paying for it, and about the only thing I noticed with the paid version was that it was "somewhat" faster. So, what does one gain by paying for the program?

AngelBits software has always been good (and prompt) about upgrades, and especially have a version ready either prior to, or about the time, a new version of the Mac OS comes out (I actually have about 5 essential applications (1Password, Onyx, Office 2016, SuperDuper!, and Tech Tool Pro) that must have upgrades available before I will move to the new Mac OS). So, how good/diligent are the folks at LastPass for upgrades?

Reaction score
Lastpass are constantly upgrading their software we must have had 8 or 9 updates this year alone and they have also mentioned some major updates later in the year.

Reaction score
Thanks, pezza1. I think I will "move" to LastPass very soon. I did read how to "import" all the passwords I have in 1Password into LastPass.

Reaction score
Last Pass is my choice. I have used it for maybe 3-4 years (I used to use 1Password, but it went thru a period when it was not working quite right so I went to LP). LP is also very secure. I am a premium user but just because I want to support them. Can't really go wrong.

Reaction score
Last Pass is my choice. I have used it for maybe 3-4 years (I used to use 1Password, but it went thru a period when it was not working quite right so I went to LP). LP is also very secure. I am a premium user but just because I want to support them. Can't really go wrong.

Any "substantial" differences between the free and paid versions? Form my needs, did not really see any.

Reaction score
Any "substantial" differences between the free and paid versions? Form my needs, did not really see any.
Not any that are major. I primarily paid to support the LP folks. In the "old" days, the only difference had to do with using it on mobile devices (if I remember correctly) but that changed soon after I bought in. It was $12 a year back then and worth it.

Reaction score
Thanks, pezza1. I think I will "move" to LastPass very soon. I did read how to "import" all the passwords I have in 1Password into LastPass.
I have been having a lot of problems with Dashlane so after having read this thread, I think LastPass is the answer.
honestone, did you move yet and how easy was it to import all the passwords?
Thanks
David

Reaction score
No, I did not move. I decided to "bite the bullet", so to speak, and stay with 1Password. I realize that one drawback with my decision is that the amount I paid to upgrade is only good until the next "major" upgrade. But so far, things are working well with 1Password, even it being fully compatible with Mojave.

Ask a Question