Invalid Password

Reaction score
First post here and very much a computer novice so thanks in advance for your patience. I have been unable to find useful advice in other forums so far and apple and my internet provider have not been able to answer my question. So thought I would try here.

I have an old (2006) Macbook that I am trying to revive (new RAM, battery, keyboard, etc. Nothing super fancy). Recently I tried to connect it to my wifi network and even when I know I enter the correct password it reads "invalid password". This is odd as my newer (2012) MacBook can connect no problem using the same password. Additionally, my old (2006) MacBook can connect to other wifi networks. It seems to be a specific router/computer issue.

Some things that I have already tried.
  • Resetting and rebooting computer and router
  • Made sure that I am connecting to the 2.4 GHz signal and not the 5 GHz signal
  • Clearing my NVRAM
  • Deleting all of my wifi networks and passwords and reloading them (in my keychain and network settings)
Additionally, depending on how I try to sign into the network sometimes it asks for a username which my internet provider says they have never heard of. My old computer only does it for this network (it logs right into other networks without needing a username) and my newer computer does not ask for a username when I sign into the same network. Not sure that is useful but thought I would share it in case it helps.

I am running the most up to date version of OS X I can...which is admittedly ancient (10.6.3) but I think that is the latest version that is supported by my computer.

Suggestions on how to proceed? Thanks

Last edited:
Reaction score
I assume this is your Mac:

https://everymac.com/systems/apple/macbook/specs/macbook_2.0_white.html

You are actually running an early version of Snow Leopard, but your machine can run the last version of that OS, V10.16.8. Not sure it will help resolve your issue, and you have certainly taken all the right steps!

You can get the OS 10.6.8 V1.1 Combo Updater from here:

https://support.apple.com/kb/DL1399?locale=en_US

(By the way, I just downloaded it, so that link should work for you). But it is best if you have a backup before you upgrade.

Reaction score
Thanks for the thoughts. It is the same computer but the black model. I'll try upgrading and see if that helps.

Ask a Question