Password Managers

Spawn_Dooley

Reaction score
About LastPass, I've been using LastPass for several years & only upgraded to the paid version when I started using LastPass on my iPhone & saw that it had less features that the desktop Safari extension. I can't remember exactly what was missing but it was essential & I would have stopped using LastPass on my mobile had I not paid for a subscription.

I have had one instance when I was using the free version of LastPass (Safari desktop extension) & LastPass simply refused to recognise my master password & I hadn't properly set up the recovery steps so I was locked out. I didn't think to contact them because it seemed easier to begin again with a fresh free account.

Luckily I don't put all my faith in cloud services & make a text copy of my login credentials/websites etc on my computer & back that up with Time Machine. This txt file needs to be kept a mirror copy of the online version so needs to be kept up-to-date. This is how I was able to start fresh. Time consuming it was & there likely was an easier way but I'm not the most techiest person with this kind of thing but due to the amount of passwords I was accruing I saw I needed a password manager.

Reaction score
I previously mentioned that I was considering LastPass, but given it is basically a browser extension, and that I wanted more control over my passwords (and without the potential of them being exposes), I decided to remain with 1Password, especially given that it is an application that is on my machines. Don't get me wrong, based on reviews and what others are posting here, LastPass seems like an excellent product. But it is not for me.

Reaction score
Check out your free apple produced keychain system.
quite simple and effective! And it from a company that I trust!

Reaction score
Check out your free apple produced keychain system.
quite simple and effective! And it from a company that I trust!

Here is a very recent review of password managers for the Mac.

https://password-managers.bestreviews.net/best-password-managers-mac/

Note two serious short comings of Keychain Access:

1. The problem with this is that iCloud Keychain only works within the Apple ecosystem, so users with an Android phone or a non-Safari browser won’t benefit from this cross-platform service.

2. The feature only works with Apple’s native web browser, Safari, so if you prefer Firefox or Google Chrome then you are out of luck.

I use Google Chrome (Safari is too slow, and a number of folks on here have issues with it), and definitely don't use any iCloud "services".

Reaction score
My clear preference is Dashlane; and no, I don't work for them). It's not free although like some others there is a free version. If you will consider the difficulty in untangling a hacked computer, then the cost of the premium version is not so much. For me, it's a sound choice. Good luck with whatever selection you decide upon.

Reaction score
Understand. Given that I have used 1Password for a long, long time, and that it is as solid as a rock, it is my clear choice. And most likely I will stick with it, even if i have to pay for upgrades.

Ask a Question