Yahoo Mail Crash: Rejects Password & Retrieval Info

Reaction score
This happens every few months ... Yahoo Mail crashes on a Friday and it's not until the next Monday or Tuesday when I can retrieve my email. Some times it's a general crash. This weekend it's a password rejection, as well as rejection of password retrieval data like honeymoon location etc.

I've been swearing to give up Yahoo Mail's free service (and who would PAY for their mail with service like this?) for years but the work involved notifying all my contacts scuppered my plans. This time it's for real.

I just opened a free account with Proton Mail in Switzerland. Can upgrade to paid if required. Very easy to open and without the need for another email.

Yahoo Mail used to be a fair service but under the current female CEO it has deteriorated markedly. Any other Mac-Help members feel the same and can recommend alternative email providers? Thanks.

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hello,

-Which version of OS X?
-Are you using the Mail app, or accessing via a browser?

Many email providers are problematic at times, especially Hotmail, MSN, Outlook, Yahoo!, and most cable providers/ISPs.

The best free email service out there currently is Google's Gmail. I would recommend that.

C

Reaction score
High Sierra. Via browsers. Yahoo is horrible because it crashes at the end of a week and is unavailable over the weekend. Has deteriorated over the years. Would strongly advise users to copy over contacts to any other service and close Yahoo. Currently I use Hotmail, GMail and Protonmail. Hotmail is pretty good. Crashes are less frequent and less severe.

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
OK, thanks for the additional info.

A few more questions:
-I assume this happens with all browsers - Safari, Chrome, Firefox, etc.?
-How many emails are in your inbox when this occurs?
-I assume you are clearing caches and such?

C

Reaction score
-- It's a Yahoo issue, not a browser issue.
-- True, I have a lot in my inbox, some unopened, but normally this doesn't affect operation.
-- Have cleared cache and history: no affect.

This happens every few months with Yahoo Mail, over a weekend, and normally clears itself early the next week.

Rejects password. Won't re-set: rejects all memorable data. Help center useless. Can't wait to delete everything Yahoo once I get back in and retrieve my data. Hateful, hateful service.

Reaction score
Fortunately I had my iPhone set up for Yahoo Mail, so I can still access my emails, but I dare not log out in case I can't get back in. Do you think I could lose even these if Yahoo Mail starts prompting me for a password check?

My Macbook Pro (Firefox or Safari) will not accept my long-standing password, nor send me a new one via memorable information, like pet's name (seems to have lost all passwords and memorable data from its system). At least I can still retrieve my important contacts and emails but BE WARNED and tell your friends that Yahoo Mail is a disaster waiting to happen -- just read the reviews!

I noticed that there are some Indian outfits with 0800 (free) numbers in the UK offering to help users get back their access to Yahoo Mail -- so it's clearly a major issue. Don't know whether they've been hacked but it wouldn't surprise me. It's a pain having such an unreliable service as one's primary email as so many organisations to notify.

Ask a Question