Opening .dmg or .sit files

Reaction score
I'm trying to open Stuffit Expander Installation (which is a .dmg file) on my new (old) imac with OS X, so that I can then open a .sit file (another installation for Juno internet) in Stuffit.

By default it's opening the .dmg in DiskImageMounter. Then it says "The following disk images failed to mount" and reason given is "not recognized." Is there something else I could open it in perhaps?

Or is there some other way I can open this .sit file?

Thanks,
Colette

Ric

Reaction score
Hi there Colette and welcome !

try throwing that one away and redownloading it.

If that still doesn't work then, open Disk Utility (Applications-->Utility) Then go to file Open Disk Image and see if you get it to mount that way...

If that doesn't work then do a Repair Permissions in Disk Utility, then reboot and download the file again and see if it works.

regards

Ric

Reaction score
Hello Ric, I have the same problem, can't open dmg files. I get a note with the reason: not recognized. I tried preparing permission and reboot. Disk utility help didn't work. Have a couple of installation downloads that I can't open. Can you help please.
Khalid

Ask a Question