One Mic for both iPhone and Mac?

Reaction score
Recently I started making YouTube videos, using my iPhone mounted on a stand. I'd like to get a Lightning-connectable mic, so the mic can be closer to us and we'll have better sound for the video.

At the same time, my four-year-old Yeti Blue microphone is acting a little weird. When I record with it and then listen back, I find that, every five or ten minutes, my voice will cut out for just a second. Of course it's beyond warranty, which would only be 2 years.

So rather than buy two separate mics, I'd like to be able to buy one that I can use with both my iPhone and my Mac, without spending too much. Trying to keep it under $150. Any suggestions?

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hello,

There aren't too many available that will connect to both your Mac and iPhone. One of the most highly praised is the Apogee MIC Plus. Unfortunately, it is above your price range at $249 USD. There is also the Blue Raspberry. It comes in at $199.99. Either should sound as good as your Yeti, or better.

Hope that helps,

C

Reaction score
I saw those, I may have to shell out for one of those.
By the way, I'm a little confused about what exactly is causing that momentary cut-out of my sound, especially since I notice it coming from the other end of the Skype conversation, too -- regardless of who I'm talking to -- and it happens *while* we're recording, not just on the recording itself. But it might be an unrelated problem.
Still, I'm a little nervous about replacing the mic and then discovering the problem is actually in my Mac.... I wonder how I could narrow down the possibilities of exactly where the problem is?

Reaction score
I'm starting to wonder if it's a Skype bug. When I'm recording by myself (voiceover for a podcast) it doesn't seem to happen.

Reaction score
The problem does indeed seem to be a problem with Skype Call Recorder. My proof is that 1) the cutting out was happening to the voice coming from the other end of the call, not just my end, and 2) when I use other applications to record, it doesn't happen.

So I guess I'm NOT in need of a USB mic. (Fortunate, because I was really debating whether Apogee was doable on my budget.) But I'm still pondering a good solution for recording videos with my iphone.

This is my YouTube channel:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC0iEv7q_Ca4Gow1VeKYda_A/featured?disable_polymer=1

The videos are made with my iphone on a tripod that's sitting on a table.

I'm afraid that a mic on a stand on the table (like Apogee) would not sound all that much better than the iPhone mic, because it'd be almost as far away from us. (And it's within arm's reach.) There would still be reverberations in the room, etc.

What would be ideal would be if she and I both had (clip-on? hand-held?) mics. There do seem to be some options for connecting two Lightning devices to one iPhone.

Any recommendations?

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hello,

Thanks for the update. I didn't realize that Skype Call Recorder was in the loop. That could trigger the dropouts, but it's a good piece of software that I have used in the past if it is Ecamm's Call Recorder for Skype.

I am not sure about multiple Lightning devices to an iPhone.

After reviewing you videos, that is a tough environment to get a good recording. The wood paneling will cause a lot of sound reflection. Individual lapel mics would be great, but you would need an interface to input them to to mix out to the recording device. Maybe a shotgun type video mic would work, since their pickup pattern is directional, and could possibly help with the ambient/room noise.

C

Reaction score

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Yeah, may be changes since Microsoft purchased Skype.

Yes, we have several RODE mics at work, which we use with iPads/DSLR/HD video cameras. They are great.

Since you mentioned Lightning and iPhone previously, you would need an adapter. Not sure if they work with microphones however.

V

Reaction score
After watching this video, I'm persuaded that we don't necessarily need a mic with a cord. Just a little plug-in that we can point at us (obviously, the built-in mic on the iPhone is pointing off to the side) would help.

Of course, that video is 3 years old. All iPhones had headphone jacks. I'm still using an iPhone 6S, so I could use a headphone jack, but might be smarter long-term to get one with a Lightning connector. Although another page I found shows there is a way to use an adaptor.

http://whattodotomorrow.net/en/using-rode-videomic-iphone-7/

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Yes, that would work perfectly with your iPhone 6s.. It is directional, and I bet you would get much better audio.

The Lightning to 3.5 mm adapter would work too, but you may need a different mounting point, depending on the iPhone or device you use it with.

C

Reaction score
I decided on the Zoom IQ7. Fits my budget and pretty highly rated. I'll let you know how it goes!

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Yeah, looks like a nice piece. It has numerous adjustments, and the app looks to be handy. I also see it has a video mode, which should work for your application.

Let us know how it goes.

C

Reaction score
Well, it's arrived already. First problem: trying to record video using the iPhone camera app, the audio runs several seconds behind from the very start of playback (rather than gradually drifting behind the audio). Thought maybe I need to use Handy Recorder app, but that doesn't even seem to have a video function. Trying to google up an answer, but I can't seem to find the right search terms.

Reaction score
I tried it again just now and now the sound is syncing up fine with the picture. Didn't really change anything except I quit a few apps. I wonder what the problem was.

Reaction score
I'm frustrated with the Zoom IQ7. For some reason, the sound is somehow WORSE than that of the iPhone's built-in mic. I'm contemplating returning it, but I want to make sure I'm not overlooking something. The mic is absolutely working and the gain is turned up all the way....

Ask a Question