Spekers and Microphone are Fuzzy

Reaction score
I have a macbook Pro (retina 13 inch from Mid 2014
Running High sierra V 10.13.3

Problem after an update a few months ago speakers and Microphone are very fuzzy and distorting the sound. Is there a cure??

TIA
N

Attachments

• upload_2018-3-1_8-50-13.png
    upload_2018-3-1_8-50-13.png
    22.2 KB · Views: 293
Reaction score
OK, need to ask some typical questions:

1. How exactly did you try to upgrade? That is, did you just upgrade "in place", ie, basically let High Sierra (OS 10.13.3?) basically "overwrite" the prior OS? (By the way, what Mac OS were you previously using?).

2. Have you ever done an disk cleanup/maintenance/repairs, from a software perspective? By that I mean have you ever run any disk-related software to help with those tasks? There are some excellent products available (both free and commercial) that can help you with that.

3. This is critical: are you making backups to an external device? If yo are, what software are you using for that?

4. Did you insure that all your third party software (ie, non-Apple) is compatible with High Sierra? This site can help you with that:

https://roaringapps.com/apps

Both of my Macs (a late 2012 Mac Mini, and a mid 2017 13" MacBook Air) are running the latest version of High Sierra (OS 10.13.3), and I am having no issues at all with my speakers (external Logitech pair connected to my Mac Mini, and the internal ones on my MacBook Air). Of course, as I always do, I did a clean, fresh, "virgin" installation of High Sierra on both machines, and then "migrated"/copied needed "stuff" from my backup (of course, I took the necessary steps/precautions that I listed in 2 through 4 above).

Reaction score
Thanks for the advice.

Upgrade was done "in place" . That is the way I have always done IOS updates as soon as I get the notification. The previous would have been what ever was before 10.13.3.
I frequently do disk cleanups using Clean my Mac. Have done one in the last few days
I make auto backups to an 3 TB external Disk using Time Machine.
I have never used an app to check but have just done so using the program you mentioned. The ones I regurally use are all compatible. a lot only used occasionally no data available.
Speakers and mic are both internal.
No change.

OK, need to ask some typical questions:

1. How exactly did you try to upgrade? That is, did you just upgrade "in place", ie, basically let High Sierra (OS 10.13.3?) basically "overwrite" the prior OS? (By the way, what Mac OS were you previously using?).

2. Have you ever done an disk cleanup/maintenance/repairs, from a software perspective? By that I mean have you ever run any disk-related software to help with those tasks? There are some excellent products available (both free and commercial) that can help you with that.

3. This is critical: are you making backups to an external device? If yo are, what software are you using for that?

4. Did you insure that all your third party software (ie, non-Apple) is compatible with High Sierra? This site can help you with that:

https://roaringapps.com/apps

Both of my Macs (a late 2012 Mac Mini, and a mid 2017 13" MacBook Air) are running the latest version of High Sierra (OS 10.13.3), and I am having no issues at all with my speakers (external Logitech pair connected to my Mac Mini, and the internal ones on my MacBook Air). Of course, as I always do, I did a clean, fresh, "virgin" installation of High Sierra on both machines, and then "migrated"/copied needed "stuff" from my backup (of course, I took the necessary steps/precautions that I listed in 2 through 4 above).

Reaction score
OK, thanks for the reply.

First, while doing "in place" upgrades for iOS devices might work well, for Macs (and especially with High Sierra) "in place" updates can be problematic.

Secondly, I assume you upgraded from Sierra, OS 10.12.6. What was your reason for upgrading?

Third, I see where your Mac has a PCIe-based Flash Storage (either 128 gig (actually only about 122 gig) or 256 gig (actually only about 252 gig)). Not sure if you know, but via the installation of High Sierra, such a device (ie, an internal SSD) is first re-formatted with the new APFS file system.

Fourth, some others have stated there are issues with CleanMyMac. Not sure how valid that is, but I use the excellent, well reviewed freeware program Onyx (along with the commercial program Tech Tool Pro) for my disk cleanup/maintenance/repair tasks (along with doing daily disk cleanup).

A few weeks ago, there was a supplemental update to OS 10.13.3, but it was mainly for security reasons, si I doubt it would affect anything regarding speakers and/or microphones.

I wish I could help you more. On my mid 2017 13" MacBook Air with a 253 gig SSD and the latest version of High Sierra (OS 10.13.3, along with that most recent security update), I just played some "things" on it, and there was no distortion at all with the internal speaker. I played 3 songs on iTunes, watched a short video I had downloaded, and then watched a short video clip from "The Godfather" on YouTube (via my browser, of course), and there was no distortion at all. All of those sounded fine.

Reaction score
Nothing wrong with software. Plugged in Earphones and Sound perfect. Must be the internal Speakers.

Ask a Question