My Microphone

Reaction score
Hello, my name is Liam. I have the newest mac mini. The one with 1TB of storage. I do not currently have the exact product. I also just bought

http://www.amazon.com/Professional-...mputer/dp/B00VV2MS7O/ref=zg_bsnr_3015406011_1

Whenever I record on my mac mini ( I use a 3.5 mm to usb converter since the mic port doesnt work the best) there is a constant buzzing in the audio. I tried the mic on other computers and the audio is perfect, no buzzing. I know it is not thr room because the room is sound proofed. Is there any way to remove the buzz? If there is that would be great! Thanks!

-Liam

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hello and welcome.

The buzzing you are hearing is called a ground loop. It is usually caused by multiple devices being plugged in to multiple power outlets. It is fairly common in the audio world and can be overcome by several means.

If the audio jack on the mini isn't working very well as you stated, that could be part of the problem, since it doesn't happen on other Macs. By any chance are any of the other Macs portables? Are you using the same USB adapter on the other Macs?

I wouldn't advise using a 3.5mm to USB adapter, as that can cause other issues...especially if the adapter is for audio and has another preamp built into it.

C

Reaction score
I am using

http://www.amazon.com/Plugable-Head...qid=1432679610&sr=8-2&keywords=3.5+mm+usb+mic

for adapting. It is made for audio and mic.

Yes I used a mac book for the other testing. It had no buzzing.

I read somewhere about a ground loop. I have my power cable in a surge protector with many other devices plugged in. I was going to move it but it then won't be surge protected. Is there a way to surge protect a single outlet?

-Thanks!

-Liam

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
That adapter should work, but direct to the audio jack is the best connection.

If the MacBook wasn't buzzing, was it running on battery or AC adapter?

You can leave your surge suppressor as is.

-Do you have a light switch dimmer, florescent lights, heater/air conditioner, or anything else like that in the room or powered on in an adjacent room - possibly on the same circuit?
-Do you have any devices plugged into the Mac mini that are plugged into another power outlet in the room?

We'll try and narrow it down.

C

Reaction score
The mac book was on a battery. My kitchen is near my office and the garage is connected also. I have a hard drive, the monitor, my printer, and speakers connected to my mac mini and the wall.

Thanks once again!

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
I figured the MacBook was running on the battery, as that usually prevents a ground loop from occurring - since there is no "earth" ground involved. ;)

Have you tried disconnecting and unplugging the speakers that are connected to the mini when running the mic? Or, both the printer and the speakers?

C

Ask a Question