Bluetooth headset w microphone to make phone calls

Reaction score
I have several imacs from 2009 -2013 where i use google voice as my regular phone to make and receive phone calls, using the imac's built-in speakers and microphone.

Now, instead of using the imacs built in spkr/mic i'd like to use a bluetooth headphone with mic to connect to the imac and do the phone calls, just like a customer service representative. Does anyone know if i can do this and if so, recommend a bt headset with mic ? If i can do this, what other hw/sw do i need ?

For those unfamilar with google voice, i can link a gmail addr with a home phone or cell phone and then link that phone with google voice to create an alias telephone# that i can use to make /receive phone calls from via my imac. I've ditched my landline phone. I want a bt headset w mic because i want the flexibility to walk around my home during a phone call instead of being near the imac mic/spkr. My cell phone is not involved in any way with the imac or bt headset. I searched the forum and didn't see a question like this. Sorry if its been discussed before.

Thanks.

Spawn_Dooley

Reaction score
Here are a couple of articles that might help you. I can't recommend a particular brand as I have never used one. But the Apple Earphones are a new player in this kind of market I imagine.

Use a Bluetooth enabled headset to wirelessly hear and input audio. After you pair your Mac with the headset and select it as your sound input and output device, it acts as your computer's microphone and speakers. See the documentation that came with your headset to pair it with your Mac.
Bluetooth Headsets: How to Pair with a Mac

Apple Earphones

OS X Yosemite: Use a Bluetooth headset with your Mac

macOS Sierra: Use a Bluetooth headset with your Mac

Ask a Question