microphone headhone headscratcher

Reaction score
microphone headphone headscratcher

Hi,

I have a (Samson meteor mic, I'm guessing the problem doesn't have anything to do with the type of mic) with a built-in headphone jack (that I guess limits delay when doing music recording). Everything's been working fine but all of a sudden I've devloped a problem where I'm getting no sound out of the headphones. The light on the mic is on, and it records ok, just no sound out of the headphones.

The curious thing is that when I restart the computer (that's how I solve most problems) I can hear sound through the headphones until OSX is booting up then the sound cuts off. And I can't get it back. I don't think it's a System Preferences issue because it recognizes the mic as it always has, and the input signal is registering as it should here.

If anyone has any ideas I'd appreciate them,

Thanks

Reaction score
Thanks for the idea. However, the microphone records and plays back (the ouput) fine. It's a problem of hearing what I'm recording, as I'm recording, through the microphone's built in headphone

Reaction score
I've been using the mic through garageband. But when the computer's turned on the microphone comes on automatically. As it is now (the blue light is on, not the yellow standby). As I say, the signal is registering, it just doesn't come through the headphones. What's strange is that when I restart. the microphone light comes on and I can hear my voice through the headphones until a ceratin point in the reboot, and then something cuts it off.

Reaction score
In Garageband, select the track you are wanting to record on, click the i button in the bottom right corner, Select On from the Monitor menu.

Reaction score
When I turn the monitor on I can hear the mic coming through fine. If I plug the headphones into the computer I get sound through them - although with the problematic delay (so the headphones are working fine. As I say they work the way they're supposed to plugged right into the mic until a certain point in the boot up process. Even without garageband on. Then they cut out). The microphone's own jack serves to avoid this delay. When all is working properly it's best to have the monitor in the off position.

Reaction score
the way they're supposed to

I don't think so, once the Sound plist loads it works the way it supposed to. It is not normal for the mic signal to automatically route to the outputs, this could create feedback and blow either the mic or the speakers.

Thats why in GB the monitor defaults to off.

Reaction score
Thanks for the help. The problem did turn out to be a matter of adjusting the output .

Ask a Question