SOLVED Can I have two Mice/cursers ?

Reaction score
I am doing a course where I am logged onto the web and have a long project where I have to listen and watch the instructor and in Pages I am Typing notes as she speaks, so I have to turn off the video constantly as I am typing. This is very tedious because I have to listen to the vid, then turn it off (click or spacebar) then click on the Pages page and type then move the mouse over to click on the vid and then hit SB to restart it. Inevitably I have to backtrack the vid a bit constantly because it takes time to move the mouse over and click then SB.

I know that there are programs that Court Clerks use to stop/start/rewind an audio file with a floor switch (foot activated). This is roughly the idea but I would like to use two mice.

Any suggestions?
TIA Alan

Last edited:

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hello and welcome.

You can use two mice, but there will only be a single cursor on your screen, which defeats the purpose. The devices used in court are very specialized, using a floor switch as a control unit for the video system.

The only way I can think of setting things up is the following: If you can download the lecture video and add it to iTunes, you could control the play/pause with the keys on the keyboard, and still use the mouse and keyboard to enter notes. The play/pause and volume buttons work perfectly with iTunes, even when it is in the background. Unfortunately, the play/pause button won't control videos in a browser window.

Hope that helps a bit,

C

Reaction score
Thanks Cory,
That does help because I am pretty sure I can D/L the video. I'll let you know how it works.

Reaction score
Hi Cory,
I downloaded the vid into iTunes and could play it perfectly but I still cannot work it in the background with the spacebar for instance as it just adds a space to what I am typing. I still have to grab the mouse and move it to the vid and then SB or click on the pause.

Reaction score
What I imagine is two mice say with one to operate one curser with only a few permissions to do things or,

or another KB with only certain permissions to do things like the court stenographer's foot switch,

or a program that makes certain KB strokes do something that you specifically ask it to do while staying in a program like for instance in my case Pages. I seem to recall that such a small program being called a "Macro".

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Do you have an Apple keyboard? If so, it should have play/pause on the F8. Use that, not the spacebar.

C

Reaction score
Further to your suggestion Cory, the left and right buttons F7 and F9 Scroll back and ahead on the vid in iTunes.

You solved all my issues! Okam's Razor

Ask a Question