Using left and right mice simultaneously

Reaction score
Hello- I want to have 2 mice, one on the left, and one on the right so I can switch back and forth for ergonomic reasons. I know that it is possible to have two mice hooked up at the same time, but is it possible to have the Mac differentiate I always have to go into the system preferences and change it from left to right every time I starts using a different mouse? When I change the buttons in system preferences, it changes on both mice. If this is not built into the OS, does anyone know of a 3rd party app that might provide this functionality. Thank you!

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hello and welcome.

You can have multiple mice connected, but if they are both Apple models, you cannot assign different functions to them as you are attempting. You would have to use an Apple Magic Mouse and a third-party mouse that has its own preference pane controls. It may work with a Magic Mouse and a Magic Trackpad however, since they have separate preference panes in System Preferences.

C

Ask a Question