Not Charging

Reaction score
Was given MacBook Pro (Retina, 13-inch, Early 2015). The charger had been dropped in saltwater and replaced with new magsafe 2 power adapter model A1435. No lights come on when it is connected to the MacBook. The MacBook does not turn on. I understand the battery could be bad, or the SMC needs to be reset but want a good source of info before I did into this machine.

My neighbor bought a new MacBook and had the contents of the drive moved to the new MacBook. I do not know if things were copied over or if the drive was wiped.

How to check the new MagSafe adapter itself? What voltages should I expect from it, and which pins?

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hello,

-Is the new adapter an Apple OEM part?
-Have you tried flipping the MagSafe adapter over and connecting it?
-Here are the two resets you can try: SMC and NVRAM.

Since Apple doesn't publish schematics, I am not sure what voltages you would get by testing with a meter...sorry. If the SMC reset doesn't fix the issue, then it is either a faulty MagSafe adapter or I/O board/logic board issue with the MBP.

C

Reaction score
Hello,

-Is the new adapter an Apple OEM part?
Yes, Brand new from the Apple Store. It is the correct model.
-Have you tried flipping the MagSafe adapter over and connecting it?
Yes. Looking at the MagSafe port (correct terminology?) on the MacBook itself there are 5 contacts. The 2 on either side of the center one looked very dirty, maybe burned. I burnished them. Still no luck. I am going to first disconnect the battery, connect the power adapter to see if the Book boots. If not I will replace the MagSafe port and try again. No way to disconnect the RAM. That did work on an iMac - no chime, black screen.
-Here are the two resets you can try: SMC and NVRAM.
Tried those to no avail.
Since Apple doesn't publish schematics, I am not sure what voltages you would get by testing with a meter...sorry. If the SMC reset doesn't fix the issue, then it is either a faulty MagSafe adapter or I/O board/logic board issue with the MBP.

C

Ask a Question