Macbook Pro battery not charging

Reaction score
tldr; I've reset SMC and PRAM, charger is fine

I have a late 2013 Macbook Pro Retina that had a shoddy battery for years. It got to the point where I could only get a few minutes of power from a fully charged battery, and recently it begun to turn off when I disconnected the charger (the battery percentage always showed as being 1%). I finally decided to go and get my Mac serviced and they put in a new battery. When I picked it up, the guy had just finished servicing my Mac and had begun charging it (battery percentage 4%), but as soon as he unplugged the Mac it shut down. He was confused by this but told me to fully charge up the battery when I get home and fully discharge and recharge five or six times, and if that didn't help, he told me to come back. Since the battery has a warranty, he would put in a new one for free.

I got home and plugged in my Mac. After six hours it had only charged up to 38%. I didn't have time to wait for it to fully charge so I began using it. After I was done I decided to try and unplug the Mac and it instantly shut down. I plugged it in again and the battery percentage was at 1% again and has stayed there for a few days now. I've zapped SMC and reset PRAM according to CNET's instructions (waiting for three startup sounds instead of two).

I'm at the end of my rope here. Please help!

Last edited:

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hello and welcome.

It sounds to me like a bad battery. Did you get the battery installed by an Apple Authorized Service Provider, or did they use a non-Apple replacement battery.

I would definitely contact them to replace it.

C

Reaction score
Ok, thank you! The place is Apple authorized, and they luckily have one more battery of this type left in their shop so I'll take my mac there again tomorrow. Fingers crossed the second battery works!

Hello and welcome.

It sounds to me like a bad battery. Did you get the battery installed by an Apple Authorized Service Provider, or did they use a non-Apple replacement battery.

I would definitely contact them to replace it.

C

Ask a Question