Macbook pro not getting charged but battery capacity indicator working

Reaction score
So my macbook pro got discharged last night and in the morning the charger wasn't charging it. The indicator on the charger is not showing a light but the battery indicator lights on the macbook is blinking on the first light, showing there is not charge in the battery. I found a lot of fixes online where even the battery indicator wasn't working which suggested I should disconnect the battery and charge but this did not work for me. The unique thing in my case is that my battery indicator is working unlike the case in those fixes. Is this a good thing for me or it doesn't make any difference at all. Thanks in advance

Reaction score
What model MacBook Pro do you have?

Also, is the original battery still inside the machine?

Reaction score
I have an A1278 and yes the original battery is still in. So I plugged it in after 12 hours and it worked. But this is the second time this happened to me and I get really worked up at such times. Is there a way to fix this?

Reaction score
Unfortunately, A1278 is not definitive enough to identify the exact Mac model you have. But if the machine is "old", the battery could be going bad. To help you determine that, you can download, install, and run the freeware program Coconut Battery. I have used it in the past, and it is a very good tool. Note that the version you need to download will depend on which Mac OS you are running. Those choices are indicated on the portion of the link where it says "Download 3.5.2 (in blue)".

If you do need to replace the battery, it is best to get a genuine Appel one. Third party batteries are notorious for causing issues, not working properly, etc.

Reaction score
So my macbook pro got discharged last night and in the morning the charger wasn't charging it. The indicator on the charger is not showing a light but the battery indicator lights on the macbook is blinking on the first light, showing there is not charge in the battery. I found a lot of fixes online where even the battery indicator wasn't working which suggested I should disconnect the battery and charge but this did not work for me. The unique thing in my case is that my battery indicator is working unlike the case in those fixes. Is this a good thing for me or it doesn't make any difference at all. Thanks in advance

Have you tried running the diagnostics? [Hold down 'D' when powering up and the power adapter is plugged in], alternatively you could try reseting the SMC [Power down, unplug power adapter, press Shift-Control-Option on the left side of the keyboard, then press the power button at the same time. Hold these keys and the power button for 10 seconds. release, plug in the power adapter and then boot up as normal]

Ask a Question