How I fixed my iPhone charging fault.

Reaction score
FYI.

My two iPhones became annoyingly and increasingly difficult to plug into their charging lead, and actually charge.
Had to attach plug whilst standing on one leg juggling lettuce etc etc. Real pain in the arse.

Did the usual, purchased a new lead, changed chargers etc. Nothing worked.

Insert lightbulb "HERE".

Decided there was something fishy going on. Dug out my watchmakers eye glass and a good torch and "Hello".

The female ports in my phones were jammed full of grunge.
You need to look carefully as most of the foreign material was deep in the bottom of the connecter and looked almost to be a part of the phone.
(Another giveaway is that the plug should push well into the connecter, and feel quite secure. You should easily "Hang" your phone by the lead if it is attached correctly.)

Carefully cleaned them out, ensuring no damage to the electronics, and instant success.

Happy Days.

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hello,

Yes, that is a commonly overlooked issue, since mobile devices spend a lot of time in pockets, bags, purses, etc.

Thanks for posting for the benefit of other members, and glad you were able to troubleshoot and resolve it yourself!

C

Reaction score
Do iPhones have the ability to use induction charging cradles so that you don't have to plug in a charging cable?

Reaction score
Many thanks for that tip, Don. I'd been puzzled by an annoying pinging when I tried to backup my iPhone to my iMac. I could charge the phone normally, but it didn't want to connect to the iMac ... until I cleaned out the fluff. Great - now for the iPad!

Ask a Question