Self assigned IP Ethernet, it comes back everytime it's fixed, HELP?

Leo

Reaction score
Hello everyone !

The old self assigned IP problem which everyone is getting. Yup. But this time my dear Mac took it to the extreme :
I've dealt with this problem in the past, where it was just a matter of changing the ethernet ports, or restarting the router, or deleting some file in preferences, the nice tricks everyone shares on the forums and youtube.
But recently the problem reappeared, and has decided to haunt me. In the past days, every single time I managed to bring Ethernet back up by whatever means (first it worked by deleting a file in Preferences, then channels, then restarting the router and finally resetting it), the self assigned IP and the orange light reappeared an hour or so later. And it did so while I was happily using Internet.
Typical situation : I'm happily gaming or watching nonsense on youtube when suddenly, internet "freezes" and nothing will open or work anymore. I immediately open system preferences to check the ethernet tab - which i still lit green and in working order -, only to see it switch to red, then orange a couple of seconds later.

Also, apparently reseting and/or restarting the router have been the only repeatable solutions so far. Changing ports and deleting the file in Preferences only worked once.

The problem defenitely seems to be coming from the router, though no one else in my family is dealing with this issue, and all are on mac! (Granted not everyone uses ethernet, but still)
Even the my brother's ps3 -connected via cable- works wonders for him.

This continuous cycle is going to drive me mad! Worst of all, I don't understand it, or why it is.

Please, any help!
Many thanks, Leo

Leo

Reaction score
In the meantime, I thought it might help mentioning that I use 2 "adapters" (lack of the actual name) to connect ethernet.
What I mean by that is the following :
Router->Ethernet cable plugged into adapter->Adapter plugged into electricity->signal uses electric cables (I believe) to get to 2nd adapter->ethernet cable coming out of 2nd adapter plugged into computer.

Reaction score
Hi,

If you are using the firewall try this,
/Macintosh HD/Library/Preferences/ folder and remove the file called "com.apple.alf.plist," and then restart your computer. After the system boots, you may be prompted to allow incoming connections to a lot of programs and services that you use, just accept these for now (you can always go to the Firewall settings and deny or remove entries later on) and then try connecting to the network again

Leo

Reaction score
I made sure Firewall was turned off.
Furthermore I mentioned doing this in my thread! (though maybe not clear enough :p)
It worked once, but 1hr later the or so, ethernet got a self assigned IP again...

Reaction score
self assigned IP
means it's dropping off the network, there could be something that is messing the system if you're using
into electricity->signal uses electric cables
all it needs is a motor or some other electrical equipment to be putting noise down the system to break it.

Also it is extremely dangerous to try and debug, be carful.

Ask a Question