ethernet self assigned ip address

Discussion in 'Networking' started by localperson, Nov 5, 2016.

1. localperson

localperson New Member

Ok, I know this isn't a new problem but I've done a lot of research online to try and fix it but have had no success. And it seems a lot of others haven't found a solution either. I're tried renewing DHCP lease, deleting an apple file, rebooting every electrical device and fiddling around with IP addresses which I probably shouldn't have. I have an iMac and the wifi works but the ethernet remains with the self assigned message and can't connect to the net. I use powerline connectors connected to the router and the computer. It worked perfectly well a couple of months ago when I went away. Came back a couple of days ago and can't connect. Could it be the power line connectors or the router? Anyone got any ideas? Thanks
    Rafi

localperson, Nov 5, 2016
    1. Advertisements

2. localperson

Cory Cooper Moderator

Hello and welcome.

-Which model Mac?
    -Which version of OS X?
    -Which brand/model router?
    -Do you have another Ethernet-equipped computer/device that you can test with to see if it is the iMac's port or the router?
    -Is there any evidence of a power outage while you were away?

C

Cory Cooper, Nov 5, 2016
    1. Advertisements

3. localperson

localperson New Member

Thanks very much for replying. iMac 21.5" mid 2011 8gb memory El Capitan.BT infinity hub. I only have a macbook air. no evidence of a power outage.

localperson, Nov 5, 2016
  4. localperson

oldscribe New Member

Hi,

Is this a home hub 5?

oldscribe, Nov 5, 2016
  5. localperson

localperson New Member

Yes it is and I have just tried a fix which involved changing the sync with 2.4 on the 5ghz and my ethernet connection stiill says self assigned ip address. wireless works fine

localperson, Nov 5, 2016
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question