ethernet self assigned ip address

Reaction score
Ok, I know this isn't a new problem but I've done a lot of research online to try and fix it but have had no success. And it seems a lot of others haven't found a solution either. I're tried renewing DHCP lease, deleting an apple file, rebooting every electrical device and fiddling around with IP addresses which I probably shouldn't have. I have an iMac and the wifi works but the ethernet remains with the self assigned message and can't connect to the net. I use powerline connectors connected to the router and the computer. It worked perfectly well a couple of months ago when I went away. Came back a couple of days ago and can't connect. Could it be the power line connectors or the router? Anyone got any ideas? Thanks
Rafi

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hello and welcome.

-Which model Mac?
-Which version of OS X?
-Which brand/model router?
-Do you have another Ethernet-equipped computer/device that you can test with to see if it is the iMac's port or the router?
-Is there any evidence of a power outage while you were away?

C

Reaction score
Hello and welcome.

-Which model Mac?
-Which version of OS X?
-Which brand/model router?
-Do you have another Ethernet-equipped computer/device that you can test with to see if it is the iMac's port or the router?
-Is there any evidence of a power outage while you were away?

C
Thanks very much for replying. iMac 21.5" mid 2011 8gb memory El Capitan.BT infinity hub. I only have a macbook air. no evidence of a power outage.

Ask a Question