After changing from Ethernet to Wi Fi can't reconnect to apple TV

Reaction score
I purchase an Apple TV model 4. Yesterday, after much difficulty, I got it to recognize the Ethernet cable and I got signed up with my Apple ID, trial ran an app successfully, etc. I left it in sleep mode. When I talked to my new internet provider yesterday they kept telling me that I should use WiFi which they would switch on for another $5/mo. They said that they much preferred working with WiFi. So this morning I signed up for WiFi and disconnected the Ethernet cable. My iMac is fine with the new WiFi network. However, when I wake up the Apple TV it goes into search mode and I just get the dashes circling around until, after about 30 minutes it reverts to the pretty picture of the bridge. At my computer I have shifted from 2G to 5G and it made no difference. When I have my TV look at the HDMI connections it recognizes that an Apple TV is hooked up. The Apple TV is only about 30 feet from the Modem. Now that I have the WiFi I would like to stick with it since I might want to try mirroring at some future date. Yesterday, when I wanted to use my Ethernet cable, Apple kept showing all of my neighbors WiFi networks (which were locked) and asking me to join one of them. How can I get the Apple TV to give me that option again so that I can connect it to my new WiFi network?

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hello and welcome.

You could try the following: How to restart your Apple TV to see if you can then get into the Settings to re-enter your Wi-Fi settings. If that doesn't seem to work, you may need to Restore your Apple TV to its factory settings.

Not sure why it isn't "seeing" your Wi-Fi network. Normally, a restart will fix that.

Let us know how it goes,

C

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hello and welcome.

You could try the following: How to restart your Apple TV to see if you can then get into the Settings to re-enter your Wi-Fi settings. If that doesn't seem to work, you may need to Restore your Apple TV to its factory settings.

Not sure why it isn't "seeing" your Wi-Fi network. Normally, a restart will fix that.

Let us know how it goes,

C
The link "how to restart your Apple TV" does not work. However, I thought a reboot would do the same thing so I unplugged the power to the Apple TV, waited a bit, and plugged it back in. It did the trick. Thank you Cory for your response.

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Oops...link fixed.

No worries...a power cycle or restart works wonders sometimes. ;)

Glad it's working for you,

C

Ask a Question