Changing Font Sizes In Mail App

Reaction score
Hello,

New iMac desktop.
Thanks for the previous help. Really good suggestions that have worked and really helped me.

The fonts sizes used as defaults in the Mail Application are way too small
for my eyes now. Would like to make all of it bigger, the messages, headings; everything.

Pulled up the "Fonts and Colors" selection pane-

For Message List font: It's greyed out
For Message font: it has Helevetica 12. But clicking on the Select button does nothing
For Fixed Width Font: it has Menlo Regular 11. But, again, clicking on the Select button does nothing

How do I changes the font sizes ?

Thanks,
Bob

Reaction score
Has a similar problem to you and this was the advise given and it worked a treat!

If you check the box next to Mail > Preferences... > Viewing > Use classic layout, you will be able to change the message font size, but it will revert if you then uncheck it and return to the "new" layout.

Reaction score
Hi Terry.

Yes, that did it. Fine now.

Sure is hard to understand why they have it set up so that it works
only on the Class Layout ? Would prefer a different one, but have to have larger fonts.
Perhaps in the next rev., hopefully ?

Have used Thunderbird on a windows pc, but has proven impossible, for me at least, to find
a way of changing fonts. Seems the only add-on they had to do this is no longer is applicable.
So, looks like it'll be the MAC Mail app for me, from now on.

Thanks again,
Bob

Reaction score
Hi Bob,

Glad you've got it sorted.

I'm mystified as well but at least I can read my emails now.

Terry

Ask a Question