Changing Mac name OSX 10.9.5 (DNS reverse lookup?)

Reaction score
Hi,

We are working with a few Macs and Windows connected on the same Network. One of the Macs is used as a main computer to exchange and store files. I changed the name of this Mac through the File Sharing options (the computer name and also the .local name). I also went through the terminal to type different scutil entries to change the Hostname.

The issue is:
- The Mac isn't shown anymore on the network (through the file explorer of Windows)
- Typing the macname.local works only on one Windows, but not on 2 other Windows computers (for those two computers, I have to manually type the IP address to access it, or create a shortcut to the IP)

From what I've read, the Mac would be doing a DNS reverse lookup and take his old name back, but I do not know how to change that. I've also read that changing the /etc/hostconfig file to HOSTNAME=your_preferred_host_name fixes the issue, but apparently this file doesn't exist anymore on newer Mac versions (Mac OSX 10.9.5).

I do not know much about Macs and need someone to help me with a step by step to force the name change of this Mac.

I would really appreciate some help,
Thanks!

Reaction score
Found the fix, if it can help anyone at some point:

Change the name in the Network settings, Wins (tab), NetBIOSname

Ask a Question