Mac computer name not changing

Reaction score
We have a Mac Mini on our Windows domain that is running Mac OS X. When I go into System Preferences > Sharing and try to change the computer name, it does not seem to carry the change over.

On the Sharing screen it shows "Computer Name: Kevin's Mac Mini", but below it says "Computers on your local network can access your computer at: mac-001.local"

The "mac-001" is the correct name that we want, but why does it not show in the Computer Name field?

Spawn_Dooley

Reaction score
Okay, try this for a hopeful solution:

1. Under the 'Computer Name' window and to the right, click the 'Edit...' button.
  2. Change the computer name here to what you want to have as your computer's identity on the local network (mac-001), and click "Okay".
  3. When you are back at the main Sharing window, change the name there to mac-001, too.
  4. Close this window and restart the computer.

Hopefully you should find that your Mac Mini now identifies itself with the new name you've specified.

Reaction score
Thank you Spawn_Dooley, it looks like I got it to fully changed. However, it looks as if the Mac kicked itself off our domain. Does this normally happen when changing the computer name?

Reaction score
Correction, looks like it it still on our domain, but I'm thinking I need to run a IP flush. When I try to ping the macs name on my Windows machine, it shows the incorrect IP address of the mac.

Reaction score
Yes, the Mac name is used by networking. I'd guess that there is some cache somewhere not refreshing.

Ask a Question