Wi-Fi has self-assigned Ip addres 169.254.16.185

Reaction score
Hi there

When I go to system preferences network I get the error message a mentioned in the head line.

On the network popup window the Wifi sign is yellow and it says self-assigned IP - on top of the computer the wireless sign has an exclamation mark and shows not recption.

My Airport extrem has a steady grenn light

I can not connect to the internet. I googeled in youtoube and tried all the fixes:

- removing Wi-Fi Emblem

- Setting up a new location

- Deleting all the passwords in the key chain

- Renewing DHCP

Nothing helped so far.

What happened: A digger cut my cable to the router which I didn't know so apparently when I tried to connect with my macbook pro I couldn't connect than I tried to fix it and somehow I must have changed something in the settings ( I gave my wireless a new name, thats all I can remember) at the moment after they repaired the cable I can not connect with the internet with my macbook pro even after they fixed the cable.

With my Windows Notebook where I didn't touch any settings I have access to the Internet! I just had to prompt the securitiy password and I connected to the internet.

Please help it is frustrating me.

Reaction score
Found the solution myself just did a hard reset on the airport extrem and everyting works now ;-)

Ask a Question