2014 Ipad 3 / Ebay Purchaser / Activation Lock

Reaction score

marcs New Member
New I am still going through activation lock problem with Macintosh and would appreciate any help from any knowledgeable tech or person. I am an eBay purchaser of an ipad3 in 2014 from an eBay re-seller who (with high rating) specializes in re-selling ipads. The problem is he did not supply me the original proof of purchase. Now, years later, after a period of in-activity on my ipad3...I am asked for my password (which I had written down) and it is not accepted and I am now locked out and despite all proof through screen-shots and pay-pal receipts of communications and purchases made since 2014, Apple in their infinite honesty to protect the original buyer (who the ebay re-seller said was an authorized Apple dealer and the unit was a demo unit that was not moving and sold to the ebay reseller) is asking for original receipts. At this time the ebay re-seller is saying the purchase was too old and we bought this along with other units in bulk and sorry we can't help. On advice from a team leader at the apple store in Los Angeles Topanga Cyn Mall (where I walked this unit in), they are not able to help me unlock this device and neither are any Apple techs who I have been in conversation with for the last 6 weeks. I was advised to approach eBay about this.... Any thoughts or advice on how to activation unlock this device or whether or not to go to eBay and see what they say?

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hello,

-Which exact model iPad?
-Which version of iOS?
-Which password is it prompting you for - a four or six digit code to unlock the iPad, or an Apple ID password?

If it is an Apple ID that is not yours, there isn't any way around the lock, as per Apple's privacy policies. If it is simply the code to unlock the iPad, you should be able to simply restore it to factory defaults and set it up again. However, you will lose all of your data, and will be prompted for any Apple ID that was signed in before you performed the restore during the setup/activation screens. Again, if you don't know the Apple ID password, you're basically stuck.

Resellers normally remove any Apple ID account activation lock before reselling devices, since there isn't any way to bypass that.

C

Reaction score
Thank you Cory,
I will have to cut this short as I have to leave for church but here are answers to questions:
-This is an iPad 3rd Gen. 64GB wi-fi retina display
-as it is experiencing activation lock, I cannot get to the information on the device to answer the version though I can say that the version is earlier. I remember that I tried to register it on i-cloud and they said the version was too early
- They are asking for and Apple ID Password and I kept records of all my passwords and they are not working.

I don't mind losing the data if I can get it to function again. Otherwise I'm going down the path of contacting e-bay to see if they can influence or help in some way. The re-seller is not being cooperative as their final explanation is "its too old and we have no records of this particular item as it was bought from an Authorized Apple Dealer in bulk". I feel at this time that is a flimsy excuse if not a system that they as a "highly rated" reseller on e-bay need to change. (like keep a log of serial numbers, and or ID pass-codes used on the units you re-sale). Likewise, Apple says its too much of a legal hassle to have a system in place for people to report their device as stolen.

Ask a Question